lx and gt...

rebel65

Feb 1, 2004
SF Bay Area
hey, i feel really ignorant right now but i know almost nothing about the 79-93 mustangs, and im planning on giving one a 351w heart transplant. Anyway i'm looking at them while i bring together cash and build the engine and im trying to figure a few things out...i have no idea what to look for, originally i was going to find a cheap 89 GT, i have seen LX's with 4 cyl and 5.0's when im searching for cars what should i look for? should i just keep looking for GT's? thnx :). +is there anyone else who has done this?

• Sponsors (?)

GT is pretty much just a better trim level than LX along with a couple extra features, but for some reason it's 300 or so pounds heavier... For a drag car you are better off starting out with the LX as they have the fastest 1/4 mile times to begin with due to the weight difference.

If you're going to get an LX and swap in a 351, get a 4 cylinder. You will need to do a few upgrades like springs, spindles, and rearend to match what the LX 5.0 offers (besides a low oil light on the tach and possibly other minor differences), but they are pretty much the same car. Except you can get a 4 banger in good condition for $1,000-1,500.

I'm talking about the 87-93 cars here... don't know very much about the older ones.

if you want the "best" platform to build off of get a 4 cyl notch. the notch is the lightest and strongest of the mustangs and since you'll prolly upgrade everything on it anyways, you can save money by getting a 4 cyl...

i have a 4 cyl and so far everything has been replaced with something better, just waiting for the 347 stroker...

my plans were to upgrade suspention, and most likely the entire drivetrain my estimate is that i will have about 6,000 dollars to spend on this car so we shall see what gets upgraded heh. im guessing if i am going with a 4cyl i should go carb for the sheer convenience and cost effectiveness. this will not be a strip car...a street car that needs to be able to school some kids. i am planning a hydrollic roller and i was thinking that EFI would be a better street application? thoughs? and thanks a lot for the input.

rebel65 said:
this will not be a strip car...a street car that needs to be able to school some kids. i am planning a hydrollic roller and i was thinking that EFI would be a better street application? thoughs? and thanks a lot for the input.

EFI or carb wont make a huge difference, but you're in CA, so you have a whole pile of smog laws that will limit what you can do to the car. The only way you can use a carbed 351W is if you got a real old Fox body and found a 351W out of a carbed LTD or other passenger car(not truck) of the same year or newer. For smog simplicity, you should start with a 5.0 LX if you can. That way you wont have to take the car to a state smog referee to get it looked over with a fine-tooth comb to make sure the V8 swap is 100% stock or at least 50 state legal. A 351W looks surprisingly similar to a 302 when its in the engine bay.

Who here just changes the engine and transmission in a 4cylinder car and leaves everything else as is? You mean to tell me you're going to leave the 7.5" rear in there behind a 351W? Hope you have AAA. How about the 10" front brakes? Small sway bar up front and none in the rear? Lighter duty springs all around?

Get a 5.0L car and put the 351W in there. Save the four cylinder conversion for strip only cars.

well the answer is that i wouldnt...anyway i was thinking more along the lines of a LX notch or hatch 5.0 because i am thinking of going EFI so i can play with the computer to get smoged...:) something that sounds like a gift from god...someone told me i can do this if i get an expensive programming gizmo, does it work like that? can i play with the computer to make it pass smog then re-program to make the car come alive? if i can then it's EFI for me...and if i get a 5.0 LX are there still things i should upgrade? the rearend will be a tracklock ( or the like ) 8.8? thanks for the help btw :) u have been most generous.

FoxChasis said:
Who here just changes the engine and transmission in a 4cylinder car and leaves everything else as is? You mean to tell me you're going to leave the 7.5" rear in there behind a 351W? Hope you have AAA. How about the 10" front brakes? Small sway bar up front and none in the rear? Lighter duty springs all around?

Get a 5.0L car and put the 351W in there. Save the four cylinder conversion for strip only cars.

If you're going to spend more than $2,000 to change the front brakes, rearend, and suspension, maybe you shouldn't be doing any 351 conversion to begin with...

Personally I'm going to get a GT and put a 351 in it, but only because I like the GT model and I want to have an "official" factory V8 car.

Ray III said:
If you're going to spend more than $2,000 to change the front brakes, rearend, and suspension, maybe you shouldn't be doing any 351 conversion to begin with...

Personally I'm going to get a GT and put a 351 in it, but only because I like the GT model and I want to have an "official" factory V8 car.
do u mean if you are not going to? i like the GT's more personally i think they have a nice design, and would be a better starting block for putting a 351 in, but the fact is that GT's cost more than LX's and this is Cali, cars cost more ...