M-112 on a 94 4.6L

tacoman123

Dec 17, 2003
Hello:
I just bought a 94 Town Car, with a 4.6L engine. It needs a little more power, and I was looking through different Mustang pages for performance parts. Then I someone said that a M-112 supercharger off a Ford Lightning will bolt right on.

After reading and thinking about this, I was wondering how it would work. I saw a picture, and there is the supercharger on top, then the intercooler, and then the intake manifold, which doesn't seem that complicated.

But, will the intake manifold off that work on my 4.6L?
Will everything bolt-on into mine?
How can I improve the efficiency of the intercooler?

How much horsepower and torque (please note at what RPMs to, if you can) am I looking at with the stock boost? 5 psi? 7 psi? 10 psi?

Say if I upgraded the fuel, and intercooling, and kept detonation down, what is the most boost that the stong internals can handle in my Town Car?

Thanks

~Tacoman

• Sponsors (?)

tacoman123 said:
Hello:
I just bought a 94 Town Car, with a 4.6L engine. It needs a little more power, and I was looking through different Mustang pages for performance parts. Then I someone said that a M-112 supercharger off a Ford Lightning will bolt right on.

After reading and thinking about this, I was wondering how it would work. I saw a picture, and there is the supercharger on top, then the intercooler, and then the intake manifold, which doesn't seem that complicated.

But, will the intake manifold off that work on my 4.6L?
Will everything bolt-on into mine?
How can I improve the efficiency of the intercooler?

How much horsepower and torque (please note at what RPMs to, if you can) am I looking at with the stock boost? 5 psi? 7 psi? 10 psi?

Say if I upgraded the fuel, and intercooling, and kept detonation down, what is the most boost that the stong internals can handle in my Town Car?

Thanks

~Tacoman

The intake will not work because it's based off of the 5.4 motor. This motor is wider than the 4.6.

TJM01 said:
The intake will not work because it's based off of the 5.4 motor. This motor is wider than the 4.6.

Has anyone made an adapter plate for it?

Plus, wouldn't the adapter plate add power by itself, because the distance is greater, causing a higher velocity of air? I'm following the same logic as Throttle Body spacers.

Thanks

~Tacoman

Sure you could build up adapters for it. But it'd be sticking about 6" out above your hood. That kit was designed for a truck and as such they didn't worry about hood clearance with it. There are kits that will work for your car. Some may need a little work but not as much work as trying to get a lightning 5.4L SC to fit on your engine. Check out Allen engine development. They make a kit that might work for you.

Also the added distance of an adapter plate will shift the power band down due to longer runner lengths. In other words no it won't add HP.

tacoman123 said:
Has anyone made an adapter plate for it?

Plus, wouldn't the adapter plate add power by itself, because the distance is greater, causing a higher velocity of air? I'm following the same logic as Throttle Body spacers.

Thanks

~Tacoman

Won't work - Your injectors won't fire into the proper location.

54lon46.jpg

The M112 blower will fit on this car and I've seen a few of them. However, you need to look at the Ford Motorsport Catalogue for the correct application. The FMS M112 is a non-intercooled or aftercooled roots blower that runs a 6psi. It can be upgraded to 9psi but with no internal cooling. Its not the same blower package as the Lightning.

I'm looking at MM&FF August 2001 where some guy installed it on a 2000 Crown Vic (same engine as yours with no PI heads) and his car according to the article runs 13.52 at 105.5mph with a 3.55 gear.