Mac LT's and Mac o/r H came in today

03gtmustang

May 26, 2003
Northern Va
Man I cant wait to get these things installed, hopefully Ill have time this weekend. Me and my friend are doing the install ourselfs (a 17 and 16 year old), should be fun. Im planning on doing a before and after dyno, and getting some exhaust clips after the install, Ill keep you guys informed on how it goes. Does anyone have any request, maybe pictures during the install or sound clips?

• Sponsors (?)

drop the k-member it's waaaaay easier that way. people think it's hard, but it's not. there are only 4 bolts holding it in there, after you get the calipers & stuff out of the way :nice:

btw- be preparred the k-member is kinda heavy (i'd say around 75 lbs if i had to guess, give or take a few)

just remeber, you should NOT have any extra bolts when your done

(If i were you two i would get a bunch of zip lock baggies and separate the bolts into them, like K member bolts in one, header bolts on another, and so on. thats what my friend and I did/do whenever we have to pull his motor)

oh yeah, make sure to have some zip ties handy. you'll need to prop up your steering rack & the calipers. not a necessity but it makes things easier :nice:

if ya wanna hear a clip of a mac exhaust on the road IM me on aim :D

I would like to see before and after dyno numbers plus some pics throughout the install. Commentate as you need for any real PITA areas. Post here or send to my email. Planning same mod shortly. Similar mods.

One tip I read was to disconnect the EGR at the plenum and re-attach on the LT first then go back to the plenum.

Thanks.

BCB00GT said:
I would like to see before and after dyno numbers plus some pics throughout the install. Commentate as you need for any real PITA areas. Post here or send to my email. Planning same mod shortly. Similar mods.

One tip I read was to disconnect the EGR at the plenum and re-attach on the LT first then go back to the plenum.

Thanks.

well one thing that i did was disconnect the egr for about 6,000 miles.

reason being is some people have had problems with weld slag from the inside of the headers coming back through the egr & scoring the cylinder walls. that was mainly a problem with the 4v engines, but i didn't wanna take a chance. no problems other than the light for a little while until i reconnected it. & if you drop the k-member there really isn't any "hard" areas to the install, it's just time consuming :nice:

also, i gained 18rwhp on a mustang dyno fromt he longtubes & prochamber. on a dynojet it would have been 20+ rwhp :nice:

Im in the middle of the install right now, on top of doing it at my house Im doing it by myself. I pretty much have the headers bolted up now, but there are a few bolts Im having trouble getting to, anyone have any tips. Im glad I came up here to check this thread because Ive been having a hell of a time with that damn EGR valve. Hey c2see21, you said you left the valve off for a period of time, how hard was it to reconnect it? BTY Im going by these directions, http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/lt_install/index.shtml

ooooh the EGR vavle.. THE MOST DIFFICULT THING TO INSTALL... for me at least.. I had to disconnect it from the top to hook it up to the header. then I broke the bolt in half while reinstalling the top bolt :nonono:

I also lowered the engine to tighten all the bolt on passenger side with a "SHORTY" 1/2" open ended wrench. AIM me if you have.. I also have lots of pics in my site if that will be of anyhelp.

Oh.. and did you inspect all the parts? A user from stangnet found out that hit MAC LT has a crack in it or something AFTER he installed the parts and everything.. so check that.. any more question just post it.. I'll try to answer the best I can.. I did the install twice afterall..

They are pretty good directions, the only thing I recomend is dont do it yourself. But the question of the day is should I leave the egr valve unhooked or should I hook it back up. The only thing Im worried about is leaving it off then not being able to hook it back up.

Don't do it yourself as in it helps to have a friend or worth paying someone? I can't imagine it is that bad if you drop the K and have a buddy to help. Time consuming yes, but not that bad.

No, dont pay anyone to do it just do it with another person. The k- member is actually pretty damn heavy so watch out. Once you get all that suspension stuff out of the way its pretty easy. All you gotta worry about is losing bolts and stripping something. Right now I have the pass header on and the driver side is half way on, so far I havent taken any pictures but is there anything you want me to take a picture of right now?

hey man, it's easy to disconnect the egr. all you ave to do is get two rubber end caps about 1/4 inch wide & deep then cover the plud on the egr itself, & also the hose that connects to it. something like you would put over a bike valve stem or something :nice:

Glad to hear you are done. How was the fitment of the Mac LTs and the quality of the piece (welds, etc)? Do the LTs hang low or are they snug up under the car?
Performance gains (low, middle, high)? Dyno?

HOLY ****, just took the car for a short drive. Thankfully I put the car back together and there are no problems. There are no leaks and the fitment is good. The only problem is my car might be too loud. When I first got on it a little my ears were killin. Right now it smells pretty bad, but I think it will get better. I think if there is any such thing as too loud then this is it. But I love it, Im just a little worried about getting pulled over. Hopefully Ill have some soundclips this weekend. And I didnt get a before and after dyno, sorry.

Ok I have a sound clip now, while I was making the clip my neighbor (whos an old lady) came out and asked me to rev it again, then SHE gave me the thumbs up :nice: . The only way I know how to share the clip is through AIM, so until I found out another way you can IM me at coman87 to listen.