Mach 460 HU Swap help please!!!

Jrod0985

Jun 20, 2011
Before you say anything i know that somewhere on this site has got be the correct forum but i have searched and searched and i can't find it, can somebody please direct me to the correct area, don't wanna get fussed at for reposting..haha. Anyway i bought a Boss Bv9560b head unit (in dash double din HU) and have done many HU installs over the years but never on a mustang. I was reading up on some how-to's and all i see is, "you have to replace the factory amps" "you need a voltage regulator" " you have to re-run the speaker wires" all of which has got me nervous about the install. I currently have a 2004 GT with the Mach 460 6-disk. Any help would be wonderful thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You just need to buy the right harness good metra harnesses and get the right one that you want. If you wanna run factory amps or if you wanna bypass them. If ya need more hellp I can take pics. It took me about 8 hours to figure this out. And I realised I was trying too bypass the amps and needs to plug wires into themselves in the car

i just put a hu in my 97 with 460 sound, the speaker wires usually match up color for color with the aftermarket plug, and the 12v +, and the ground wires are easy to find as well as the illuminationa and memory power. the thing that threw me off was the amp trigger. its the blue wire on the left end of the plug. youll have to connect the remote wire from the head unit to this wire and it will work. you dont need another amp or speakers. check this site Mach 460, Mach 1000 Audio Upgrade, Wiring Diagrams - MustangSpecialties.net

look at the 8 pin plug for the ford/jbl premium sound system at the bottom of the page, it has all the info you need to power your head unit and the factory amp.

I swapped my Mach 460 hu out a long time ago with an Alpine. The only thing you have to do is get the correct harness and use an adjustable output converter to match your new hu output to the stock amps. Crutchfield has them.