Machine Shop Questions

88-GT

Oct 8, 2004
am looking for information pertaining to the prep of a bottom end, the RIGHT way. I obviously dont need to spend outrageous amounts but enough for a goal range of around 400fwhp.

For the plan:
Trick Flow HCI Kit, Just paid for today. More than likely a new set of pistions to bump compression, and stock crank and rods, And all the supporting mods, injectors, tb, maf, fuel pump, etc. A small, ~75 shot of gas wouldnt be completely out of the question.(Re:400hp)

I am fine with the work involved with the top end components but am not comfortable doing the bottom end. I really don't want to be doing this twice and the car is my summer daily driver so it has to be reliable.

So,

1.What do I need to get done for machine work. Cleaning, bore/hone, anything else?
2.What are a good quality bearing to use? While I am in there I plan on swapping them all out.
3.Anything else I should know, besides knowing it will eventually go over budget?:rlaugh:

Thanks in advance for any help, I am thoroughly excited for spring this year.

• Sponsors (?)

the stock rods and crank can stay and will last to 400 hp
i would have the rods re-sized on the big end and have ARP hardware put in
if the crank can be polished good , if not get it cut
i run Clevite bearings in the bottom end, but a Sealed Power or King will do
as far as the block get it bored and decked, have them check the line bore while there at it also. get good ARP hardware
a well planned out stock short can last many years if done properly just remember good hardware, good gaskets, and double check everything you can never be too sure! And last but not least Cleanliness is key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invest the money to have it magnafluxed to make sure everything is on the up and up before you really spend money on the block.
Another point is make sure the machine shop you choose to use has your new pistons and rotating assembly IN HAND before they do anything machining wise to the block. That way there is no guessing about finished bore diameter and required deck height.

X2 on cleanliness is key