Maier springs and ride quality

red65

Apr 12, 2003
Ann Arbor, MI
Just installed a set of Maier racing 165race springs on the back of my '65. I think you'd call them 4-1/2 leaf mid-eyes with the leafs biased towards the front. That way, they prevent axle hop and eliminate the need for traction bars. I also installed Poly bushings on both ends with big beefy-looking shackles...

So -- they do seem to keep the axle planted pretty well. No more axle hop, and no perceptible axle wind-up (with the stock leafs, I could bounce the driveshaft off the tunnel - not so good). Cornering seems much improved, as well - loose enough to bring the back end around by stabbing the accelerator, but a pleasant amount of understeer in less aggressive driving. But the ride quality - oh my - is, um, 'harsh' to say the least. I'm not a cushy ride kind of guy, but with these springs, well... there might as well not be springs.

Chime in here folks - is there a better tradeoff between controlling axle movement and needing a kidney belt to go down a rough road?

• Sponsors (?)

I also recently installed a set of Maier165 Race springs. They also make 160’s for a smother ride.

I haven’t had a chance to really get on it but so far I like the feel of them. I had Old worn out leafs with air shocks before.
When I would go over a bump at speed or accelerating the back end would kick out a bit and was very loose.
NOT ANYMORE.. They car feels very firm. I have KYB’s all the way around. My car is not a daily driver and I wanted it to have a good feel and it does.

If you want your car to handle and perform better that stock you are going to have some tradeoffs.

I know some people don’t like the ride of KYB’s. They also might not like the combo of the KYB’s and the Maier Leafs.

To be honest it rides much smoother than I expected.

So far I am very happy with my new setup

I have some pics and info about the install on this thread..

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=536542&highlight=projects+begin

There are basicall two ways to go. Soft leaf springs, firmer shocks, rear anti-sway bar, and CalTracs (or similar); or beefy rear springs, softer shocks and some sort of "solid" shackle (Del-Alum or polyurethane). There are fans of each. The first option is more expensive (more stuff to buy and install), but will generate a more pleasing ride on the street. It is also superior on rougher roads/tracks.

Pbum5 said:
I also recently installed a set of Maier165 Race springs. They also make 160’s for a smother ride.

I haven’t had a chance to really get on it but so far I like the feel of them. I had Old worn out leafs with air shocks before.
When I would go over a bump at speed or accelerating the back end would kick out a bit and was very loose.
NOT ANYMORE.. They car feels very firm. I have KYB’s all the way around. My car is not a daily driver and I wanted it to have a good feel and it does.

If you want your car to handle and perform better that stock you are going to have some tradeoffs.

I know some people don’t like the ride of KYB’s. They also might not like the combo of the KYB’s and the Maier Leafs.

To be honest it rides much smoother than I expected.

So far I am very happy with my new setup

I have some pics and info about the install on this thread..

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=536542&highlight=projects+begin

Pbum5 - Looks like you and I have gone down a pretty similar path. Today's my first day with the Maier springs - maybe I'll get used to them. Thanks for the advice!

General ride shouldn't change too much. However when you hit a bump, they are linear progressive 160# or 165# per inch, and should respond with a quicker resonse. This is exactly what they are designed to do. I had their not advertised 5 leaf 200# race leafs recently installed. I did this because I have a huge speaker box in the back with amps. I switched from the GAT 5 leaf mids for a major improvement.