Mail order Tune

spederman

Apr 13, 2005
I was thinking of buying a sct xcal 2. I figure for another $50, might as well get a mail order tune. How close are these to being the perfect tune (dyno tune) when you tell them what mods to put on it? And is there any company that has better mail order tunes (more spot on) than another? Any recommendations on where to get it?

• Sponsors (?)

spederman said:
I was thinking of buying a sct xcal 2. I figure for another $50, might as well get a mail order tune. How close are these to being the perfect tune (dyno tune) when you tell them what mods to put on it? And is there any company that has better mail order tunes (more spot on) than another? Any recommendations on where to get it?
It can only be as accurate as the dyno sheets you send them. The mail order tuners will make adjustments based on that. If the dyno shop you go to has an inconsistent dyno, then it will be like trying to hit a moving target. The dyno near me sucks. I can get back to back runs and still see differences of 10 rwhp between runs.

BlueRuckus said:
Are there companies that do mail order tunes like that but for the DS Predator?
Yes, Runnin' With The Devil does Diablosport tuning but he's transitioning to SCT. You can learn more about them on www.modularfords.com. He gets really good feedback, but keep in mind that he's a sponsor on that site. The custom tune I got from him has some really kick ass tweaks to my auto trans. I can bark the tires on 2nd and 3rd. He has my 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts holding longer so it shifts at higher RPMs. It almost sounds and feels like a 5-spd shifting. The only thing I don't like about him is that it takes like a month to get a tune updated once I put in a request.

BlueRuckus said:
Are there companies that do mail order tunes like that but for the DS Predator?

To get the tune right you are going to have to get dyno and datalogging info instead of simply sending a list of mods to someone. For a Diablo Predator custom tune consider www.injectedracing.com, turnaround time in my case has been less than 24 hours.

propellerhead said:
The dyno near me sucks. I can get back to back runs and still see differences of 10 rwhp between runs.

Consider going to HPP in Lewisville. Very good people and they know what they are doing. I think I know the dyno shop you're referring to, I went there once but will never go back.

Give Me TP said:
Consider going to HPP in Lewisville. Very good people and they know what they are doing. I think I know the dyno shop you're referring to, I went there once but will never go back.

Think HPP is better than Dallas Mustang? And anybody have any experience with Speedtek?

Although the mail tunes can get close provided you go with a place that has had lots of expereince tuning such as Modular Depot, you can also find a good tune with a street tuner. Some shops may not have a dyno but they can bring the car out for a few runs and tune it on the road and is generally cheaper than a dyno tune. Just another option. Ask around your area for a good shop.

Based on my last dynotune:( , you may not be that far off with a mail order.

The dyno is only as good as the guy who knows the car, from stock... built to every added mod.

I say, If you find a shop like MPH that says they can tune you, based on your mods, they're probably more accurate than someone taking a poke at a dynotune.

Just my experience.

On a basically stock car, the mail order tunes will be within probably 90% or better of a dynotune in most cases - and I'm talking about SCT tunes. To get the absolute most out of a car a dyotune is the way to go. But a mail order SCT tune on a basically stock car isn't that far behind.

On blower cars and heavily modded cars, we will NOT do a mail order tune unless the owner will supply us with a lot of data after we send out the first 'round' of tunes for the vehicle. This means that the owner either needs a wideband or access to one and also needs to datalog with the XCal 2 and send us the results. In fact, you can read about how we do it on our website in the tech section (see sig for link) - we send out a list of parameters we need to have logged - then after we get the data we email the customer a new file(s). The other thing that's really important when doing any tune is that adaptive learning has to be shut off in the initial tune until things are dialed in or you end up chasing your tail. We turn it off in initial tunes, then once it's all dialed in, we turn it back on and email the final file. Doing things this way makes it a LOT easier to dial in a tune via mail order. Still not as good as a dynotune, but when someone isn't close to a good tuner or wants to spend a little less, it works much better than a 'blind' mail order tune. 'Canned' tunes usually have spotty results because you can dynotune 10 blower/turbo cars of the same year with similar mods and usually none of them will be identical as far as the tune goes - small variations in the combo sometimes make big differences.

Don