Main and rod bearings

myfirstii

Founding Member
Feb 28, 2002
chicago,Il.
Hey Im wondering what type of bearings i should use. Im rebuliding a 92 H.O 5.0 for the II. Clevite has two differnet types, regular and High performance. Whats the difference. This is going to be mainly a daily driver but occasionaly ill take it to the track. Its going to have AFR 165 or 185 heads,E303 cam, Edelbrock rpm air gap intake and I think thats it. Everything else will be stock. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Pat

• Sponsors (?)

You know, i never paid any attention to the differences. For the most part I've only used the std. Clevite 77 Bearings. Must be something different about the frictional properties or wear or ???

You know, ask Stewart. I bet he knows. I think he's got those particular bearings in his 302 he's building now.

In my opinion, the std. Clevites would be all you really need. No sense in spending extra money where it's not necessary. If you were going forced induction, or building better than 400hp, I'd say get the highperf. ones, but for mainly street/occasional strip, mild built engine, std. Clevites are just fine. :nice:

Pat,
Depends on your build. If your machineing the Crank then I would go with the H series bearings. They are designed with much more accurate/close tolerances. Thus they have less slop (if you can call .0001ths slop). They also are a bit harder than standard bearings so they will last longer. If your not machining the crank then the standard bearings will work fine.