Make me smoke LS1s

Status
Not open for further replies.
go ahead and trade your car in, take that 2-3k and put it down on a 03 or 04 cobra or Mach1 and that's the answer to all your problems :)

no seriously though, take that 1500 and just put a 75-100 shot with a NX wet kit. then some suspension and bolt on's, and you'll be taking LS1's.

• Sponsors (?)

Ryan02Stang wrote

Please never post in Stangnet tech again. That is BY FAR the DUMBEST statement I have EVER seen. Explain your logic of this. You make baby jesus cry!!!!

I go to the track weekly. I drag race alot, I street race alot. I know everybodies combos and what they are running. I know what there cars can do.

The cars I refer to above have drag suspensions. I'm basically refering to 4 cars. 2 ls1's and 2 4.6 cobras.

One of the cobras is a 96 cobra with a 01 cobra engine forged with a d1sc with heads and cams built by No Limit Race Cars(Mike Johnson) same guy that built Aaron Archers car. Hes on 4.10 gear through a t-56. Sean Hyland Long tubes, bassani x and cat-back,D&D Tubular k kit up front, battery relocated to the rear, a/c deleted, heater core deleted, no sway bar, upper and lowers, weight reduction, etc. His car runs 7.20's in the 1/8 mile at 97-98 mph with a mid 1.65 short time on 15x3.5 rod lites and 15x8 rod lites in the rear et streets. His last dyno was 560 rwhp and 520 rwtq.

One of the ls1 cars is a 96 lt1 with a ls1 conversion on the stock short block. Had stage 2 p&p heads, some kind of comp cam i think, full exhaust long tubes 3inch's all the way back with a cut out. ls6 intake, Drag springs in the front with drilled out stock shocks, bmr rear suspension, 3.73 through a t-56. Hes done weight reduction, relocated battery, ls1 edit, weld wheels too, 26 inch et drags, This guy ran a best of 7.20-7.30 trapping 102 mph in the 1/8 with a 1.55 short time. This same guy also ran a 6.58 in the 1/8 mile on a 150 wet kit and 75 dry kit when he was still on stock heads and cams.

Another one of the ls1 guys ran a best of 6.90 in the 1/8 and most of the time 7.10's in the 1/8 fully built ls1 car on stock cubes heads, cams, exhaust, ls1 edit, full drag suspension, weight reduction, etc and he has since added a 150 tnt kit on top of his 6.90-7.10 car so he is good for another 5-6 tenths in the 1/8 mile which would put him in the 6.40 range.

These are low 11 second cars on motor. What is so hard to understand. 4.6 cars do not have the powerband a 4.6 does simple as that.

I have a friend with a 99 cobra on the stock long block. Dynoing 430 rwhp on a s-trim with a 4.56 gear through a t-45, 28 inch et drags on 15x10 bogarts, 15x3.5 front. Fiberglass hood, battery relocated, rear seat delete, x2c racing seats, 4 cyl front springs, lakewood 90/10's, adjustable rear drag shocks, cut fox body v8 springs in the rear, x-pipe, and cat-back, stock headers, and has ran a best of 7.48 and a consistant 7.60's. Hes 4-6 tenths off from the all motor ls1 cars with 400-430 rwhp.

All 4 drivers are very good and drag race weekly.

I could go on and on with more combos, but I'm not. I'm not saying i love ls1 cars better, they look like ****. I love mustangs, but the potential of the ls1 is far past the 4.6.

Josh

I am just waiting for some of the Mustang guys that run 11's with about 400-450rwhp to come in here. Or even better, Mustang92, I think he has 280rwh or so, and running 11.97's or something like that. he doesn't need another 2-300hp to run those. :D

Each of those Mustangs you named weigh a good 200(probably more) pounds more than those F-bodies. I will bet 50 bucks each of those cars trap higher than the F-bodies or atleast should with the blowers. Cammed and headed full drag race ls1 should be in the 11s without a problem, why would that be a suprise when you are comparing it to stock styled suspension.

Go look at Tim Matherly's*sp* car. Runs 9 on stock spec'ed motor, stock heads, cams and bullit intake( think bullitt, could be SVO). Need I go on?

XtorT'r
Bill Putnam(mustang92) doesnt browse these forums too much. His car is the perfect reason why setting up your car correcly will give you the ETs you want.

MustangLife said:
These are low 11 second cars on motor. What is so hard to understand. 4.6 cars do not have the powerband a ls1 does simple as that.

Josh
I corrected your little typo.

Are you sure they arent similar?
ls1
262526_25_full.jpg

mine
attachment.php

Yet another informative post by MustangLife. :rolleyes:
You claim to know all kinds of information, but you obviously don't obtain any of it by reading. If you did, you might have read 2 posts by KenB...1 about his new N/A setup putting down 368 RWHP, and another about him running an 11.38 babying it the whole way. Second pass out of the box he pulled a 1.48 short time. But using your logic, I guess a 368 RWHP Mustang = a 275 RWHP LS1. I guess you forgot about Bob Cosby too.
If you would stop generalizing Mustang owners as a whole and start paying attention to those who actually build their **** right, maybe you could stop making these lame ass assumptions. Just because you and your friends can't do it doesn't mean that there isn't someone else who can. Pull your head out, and actually try learning something.

There are too many people on this board that put the LS1s on some high pedestal, and treat our cars like they can never compete.

Anyways, it seems like almost everyone thinks I should skip the whole forged internals idea and just hit a 75-100 shot. With the rest of the cash, I think I am going to do some exhaust work and some suspension work. Can I get any ideas on the best suspension mods for my car for this application?

I'm not saying its not possible to get 11's out of a 2valve n/a. Yes Ken B is doing it and so is Bill Putman and a couple others. But 11 second and high 1- second all motor ls1 cars is a dime a dozen. Ken B's car is gutted. I think his race weight is like 3000. I'm not talking about the few people who have full out race cars 2 valves that trailer them to the track. I'm not talkign about people who have done something so impressive to get in a magazine. I'm talking about the normal guys like me and you who haven't forked over tons and tons of money. The ls1 cars I'm talking about drive there cars daily, not a weekend warrior, not a trailered car. Not stripped to nothing. These are a/c and heat still intact, complete interior except for a rear seat, etc.

you can argue and argue all day, but the facts are there.

The point of this post the guy wants to smoke ls1's. Ok a stock ls1 he can be a good race with for lets say $1,500 invested. Not enough to smoke one but hang with a stock ls1.

Ok lets say the ls1 car he is running is stock long block with a s-trim vortech and he has full exhaust. Well that ls1 is gonna put down 480-550 depending on the tune and the exhaust. Local guy here with a 01 or 02 c-5 has 1 7/8 Kooks Long Tubes, Kooks Y-pipe, and some kinda catback with a p1=sc dynoed 524 rwhp. To do that on a 4 valve he needs to get a built shortblock and a novi 2000 or a jt-trim.

A bolt on stock head and cam ls1 will put down 365 rwhp give or take with ls1 edit. An all motor 4.6 car with heads, cams, full exhaust, tune and some intake mods and it will be a good race.

These examples are given lets say the suspension mods are eqaul to each other. Of course gear ratios, weight, etc make a difference.

Josh.

I responded to this post for feedback on the guy wanting the answers. But a couple of you turned this into a personal attack on myself MustangLife (Josh). To these guys I have no respect for you. To you guys, I have never responded to any of your threads with a personal attack against you, but you resort to immature school boy mentality.

Josh

MustangLife said:
I responded to this post for feedback on the guy wanting the answers. But a couple of you turned this into a personal attack on myself MustangLife (Josh). To these guys I have no respect for you. To you guys, I have never responded to any of your threads with a personal attack against you, but you resort to immature school boy mentality.

Josh

It's because you usually post without using common sense. Common sense would dictate to most people that a car with less displacement, and less HP/TQ will need more modifications to run with an LS1, but you don't seem to understand that. You begin spouting off about how Mustangs need X amount of HP to run 11s and 1.4 60fts, and when presented with facts, you still won't shut up. Bob Cosby's car is a daily driver, and he runs mid 11s...under 400+ RWHP. Bill Putnam's car was a daily driver up until a few months ago, and he had the same mods then as he does now...well under 400+ RWHP.
Now you want to keep talking about H/C LS1s and what they run (and you seem to believe that every LS1 comes equipped with aftermarket heads and a cam). Well no **** Josh...a car with more displacement is going to be faster than a car with less displacement mod for mod. Deal with it. If you want the power of an LS1, buy an LS1, do an LS1 swap in your Mustang, custom fit some LS6 heads, whatever, but stop whining about it. An average LS1 is not that hard to beat in a quarter mile PERIOD. :rolleyes:

mogs01gt said:
I corrected your little typo.

Are you sure they arent similar?
ls1
262526_25_full.jpg

mine
attachment.php

Actually if you really look at the graphs they are quite different. The torque/hp on the LS1 graph are skewed and yours are not. Here are the differences:
LS1 GT Dif
2500 150 120 30
3000 180 150 30
3500 210 190 20
4000 255 230 25
4500 285 270 15
5000 310 290 20
5500 305 305 0
5800 305 305 0

Due to the scewing of the first graph it looks funky. Look at how the torque drops off ll the way to the bottom of the graph but it is making 275 rwtq at that point. Look at the difference in the increments between the torque and hp on the graph.

Hell guys, think about it. LS1's should be a little faster ,I mean they have 1.1 liters more than us and about 40-50 more horsepower. What do you expect out of a 281 vs 350. Besides they're still ****ty. Stangs rule :hail2:

MustangLife said:
Ryan02Stang wrote

I go to the track weekly. I drag race alot, I street race alot. I know everybodies combos and what they are running. I know what there cars can do.

The cars I refer to above have drag suspensions. I'm basically refering to 4 cars. 2 ls1's and 2 4.6 cobras.

One of the cobras is a 96 cobra with a 01 cobra engine forged with a d1sc with heads and cams built by No Limit Race Cars(Mike Johnson) same guy that built Aaron Archers car. Hes on 4.10 gear through a t-56. Sean Hyland Long tubes, bassani x and cat-back,D&D Tubular k kit up front, battery relocated to the rear, a/c deleted, heater core deleted, no sway bar, upper and lowers, weight reduction, etc. His car runs 7.20's in the 1/8 mile at 97-98 mph with a mid 1.65 short time on 15x3.5 rod lites and 15x8 rod lites in the rear et streets. His last dyno was 560 rwhp and 520 rwtq.

One of the ls1 cars is a 96 lt1 with a ls1 conversion on the stock short block. Had stage 2 p&p heads, some kind of comp cam i think, full exhaust long tubes 3inch's all the way back with a cut out. ls6 intake, Drag springs in the front with drilled out stock shocks, bmr rear suspension, 3.73 through a t-56. Hes done weight reduction, relocated battery, ls1 edit, weld wheels too, 26 inch et drags, This guy ran a best of 7.20-7.30 trapping 102 mph in the 1/8 with a 1.55 short time. This same guy also ran a 6.58 in the 1/8 mile on a 150 wet kit and 75 dry kit when he was still on stock heads and cams.

Another one of the ls1 guys ran a best of 6.90 in the 1/8 and most of the time 7.10's in the 1/8 fully built ls1 car on stock cubes heads, cams, exhaust, ls1 edit, full drag suspension, weight reduction, etc and he has since added a 150 tnt kit on top of his 6.90-7.10 car so he is good for another 5-6 tenths in the 1/8 mile which would put him in the 6.40 range.

These are low 11 second cars on motor. What is so hard to understand. 4.6 cars do not have the powerband a 4.6 does simple as that.

I have a friend with a 99 cobra on the stock long block. Dynoing 430 rwhp on a s-trim with a 4.56 gear through a t-45, 28 inch et drags on 15x10 bogarts, 15x3.5 front. Fiberglass hood, battery relocated, rear seat delete, x2c racing seats, 4 cyl front springs, lakewood 90/10's, adjustable rear drag shocks, cut fox body v8 springs in the rear, x-pipe, and cat-back, stock headers, and has ran a best of 7.48 and a consistant 7.60's. Hes 4-6 tenths off from the all motor ls1 cars with 400-430 rwhp.

All 4 drivers are very good and drag race weekly.

I could go on and on with more combos, but I'm not. I'm not saying i love ls1 cars better, they look like ****. I love mustangs, but the potential of the ls1 is far past the 4.6.

Josh

dude read your statements..... one of the cars has a full drag suspension, i hardly call that a daily driver, also it has no ac, etc. not a daily driver.

u should head over to modulardepot.com and look up bill putnam (sp) hes running 11's n/a

and the whole thing about potential....

an 03 cobra can make a huge amount of hp w/ the stock block i believe theres some 600-800hp cars out there with stock heads etc. there was one in MM&FF...

Status
Not open for further replies.