Manual steering guys..!!..??

TT91

May 23, 2003
Paramus, NJ
The A/C has been deleted, Power steering moved up in its place using the FMS kit. Now Im switching to a Manual rack kit, what takes the place of the PS pump now? :shrug: Obviously an idler pulley of some sort, but which one? Thanks in advance!

pana0035.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Qwk88LX said:
Nothing in mine..we just got a shorter belt and used an u/d pulley..I'll see if I can find the belt size for you later..

Is your tensioner even touching your belt??

How is it driving with no power steering? I'm thinking about doing the same just so I can have a little more room for my tt project but I'm a little afraid of the results.

There are several options for this and it just depends on which setup you like best and how much you want to spend.
A) You can reverse the tensioner's spring so that it pushes upward instead of pushing down. I've never done it, but I've seen sone people do it this way. Don't know what belt size. This method is free, other than a new belt.
B) The March tensioner relocate kit (A/C delete). It's a bracket and extending rods that relocates the tensioner over to where the A/C compressor originally was. Everywhere sells this kit, Summit, etc. Not sure on belt size. The kit is about $40-ish.
C) The march Alternator bracket kit (what I now have). It's a mounting bracket and a tensioning rod and completely does away with not only the tensioner, but the big heavy bracket that the tensioner and alternator mount to. It really cleans things up, sheds a little bit of weight, and uses a tiny belt (38" on mine w/underdrives). This kit is $60-ish. Some people are fearful of this setup because there's not a whole lot of belt on the WP/fan pulley, but mine works great, doesn't slip at all, and works/cools just like it did before. Another option for this setup that I would eventually like to do is to get a standard rotation water pump. Then instead of the belt wrapping around the left side of the pully, it would wrap around the right side and cover more of the pully. But there's no rush on that since this setup woks fine and has for over a year.
Hope this helps! :D

alternator.jpg

I can have every setup EXCEPT for the one, there isnt enough room for the alternator due to the supercharger. It either needs to stay below the blower like now, or replace the PS.

BADPONYsc said:
There are several options for this and it just depends on which setup you like best and how much you want to spend.
A) You can reverse the tensioner's spring so that it pushes upward instead of pushing down. I've never done it, but I've seen sone people do it this way. Don't know what belt size. This method is free, other than a new belt.
B) The March tensioner relocate kit (A/C delete). It's a bracket and extending rods that relocates the tensioner over to where the A/C compressor originally was. Everywhere sells this kit, Summit, etc. Not sure on belt size. The kit is about $40-ish.
C) The march Alternator bracket kit (what I now have). It's a mounting bracket and a tensioning rod and completely does away with not only the tensioner, but the big heavy bracket that the tensioner and alternator mount to. It really cleans things up, sheds a little bit of weight, and uses a tiny belt (38" on mine w/underdrives). This kit is $60-ish. Some people are fearful of this setup because there's not a whole lot of belt on the WP/fan pulley, but mine works great, doesn't slip at all, and works/cools just like it did before. Another option for this setup that I would eventually like to do is to get a standard rotation water pump. Then instead of the belt wrapping around the left side of the pully, it would wrap around the right side and cover more of the pully. But there's no rush on that since this setup woks fine and has for over a year.
Hope this helps! :D

alternator.jpg

do you have more pix of ur set up ...part #'s and where did you buy it??? ill buy it right now :nice:

sirsureshot39 - Oh, I didn't notice the supercharger before. I don't know if the kit like I have could be positioned differently, like with the alt. swinging downward, or not. But even if it could, there would probably be no belt at all on the water pump pulley. Where is your alt. anyway? Under the super charger? Does it use the stock alt/tensioner bracket?
Seems like the March A/C delete would work best for you. Here's a pic of my old car when I had that kit.

attachment.php

Dip In Traffic - Although other companies probably carry them, I got my March alt. bracket kit from Holcomb Motorsports in Lumberton N.C. for $59.99. It is part # MP 1465
Here's a pic of another angle. Like I said, it has worked great for me. A friend of mine has the exact same Alt. setup on his monster race engine and it has worked fine for him too.

attachment.php

Attachments

• old alt setup.jpg
    old alt setup.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 197
  • alt side.JPG
    alt side.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 120