Manual Steering on a Manual Car?

Gellpak

Nov 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
I'm considering a T5 swap, but my car has manual steering. It isn't any driving effort for me now as I've been using it a while but I generally have to use both hands to make turns just due to the turning ratio of the steering. I'll also have to install a smaller diameter steering wheel if I go manual, to give clearance to my left leg for the clutch (I have long legs).

I'm a bit worried that I'll end up with steering that is too tough to do one-handed both from a leverage standpoint as well as a multiple-revolutions-of-the-steering-wheel-one-handed standpoint while also having to deal with shifting. Is this a legit problem or do some of you do this every day without any trouble?

• Sponsors (?)

Gellpak said:
I'm considering a T5 swap, but my car has manual steering. It isn't any driving effort for me now as I've been using it a while but I generally have to use both hands to make turns just due to the turning ratio of the steering. I'll also have to install a smaller diameter steering wheel if I go manual, to give clearance to my left leg for the clutch (I have long legs).

I'm a bit worried that I'll end up with steering that is too tough to do one-handed both from a leverage standpoint as well as a multiple-revolutions-of-the-steering-wheel-one-handed standpoint while also having to deal with shifting. Is this a legit problem or do some of you do this every day without any trouble?

i have a daily driver t-5 car and its not a big deal, on the other hand, if you plan on drifting the car in japan, i would have power steering to help aid shifting and steering :p