Manual Steering Rack

dustang90

May 18, 2003
Blue Springs Mo
Theoretically wouldn't a manual steering rack from like auto zone work if you wanted to get rid of power steering? My steering rack is leaking and my power steering pump whines like crazy, I know that Ford power steering pumps are notorious for that bump could I just go to the auto parts store and buy one for a manual rack or do I have to buy the Flaming River one.

• Sponsors (?)

I've heard of people using the Autozone manual rack for a '79 Mustang and using the FR knuckle and say it works just fine. I might be going manual myself not too far in the future.

I have switched a few FOX cars to manual racks, using the manual racks found in 78-82 Fairmonts, & 79 -82 Mustangs & Capri`s. There may have been some 83& newer cars with man. racks, but I have not come across any.Although the actual steering shaft is the same, the splined coupler that connects the "rag joint" to the rack is different. The man. rack has a smaller diameter splined shaft. If you look at enough early FOX cars (normally plain jane 4 cyl. cars) at the wrecking yards, eventually you should stumble across a manual rack, & often, a manual brake setup too.Just be sure to get the splined coupler, as I am not aware of them being available seperately. The early racks have different rack mounting bushings, with steel sleeves in the center, as the early car use much larger mounting bolts. I just drill thru the old bushings until they pop out, & them use the 4 split bushings from your old PS rack.

I've heard of that being done, but I went with the Flaming River anyway because I didn't want to end up needing unexpected parts at the last minute. All that's in the Flaming River kit though, is the rack, shaft, and tie rod ends. I've heard going the auto-store route is alot cheaper than the Flaming River.... it's worth checking into and price comparing.