Manual Transmission Problem-Clutch Question

It's been a couple years since working on a manual transmission, but the trans in my 93 Explorer (replacement for my 02 mustang that got wrecked) acted funny Friday night. I was almost home on my 65-70 minute commute when it seemed that the clutch started slipping. It was acting fine all day except on the end of the trip home.

I stopped at a light, when it turned green; I hit the gas and let out the clutch. The car started to inch forward, only the engine started to race. At 10 MPH & 3,800 RPM, I shifted into 2nd; At 25 MPH and 4K I shifted into third. At this time, I started to smell burnt clutch. If I tried to shift into third at a lower RMP, the engine would almost die.

I was able to limp it the 5 min home and barely up into the driveway.

This morning I got down there before it got too hot. The transmission had clean fluid up to the bottom of the fill hole.

I pulled off the access panel on the bell housing only to find that there wasn't an inordinate amount of clutch dust on the flywheel, but some on the inside of the bell housing.

The clutch is fully engaging and releasing with the clutch reservoir fully filled and rubber lines looking ok.

My thoughts are that I have a burnt out clutch that needs replacement. Is this assessment correct or is there any other things I should check before hauling it 60 minutes to a transmission shop?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

First of all, congrats on having one of the few Explorers with a stick. My folks have a '93 Sport they bought new and it's the best damn 4wd I've driven. after 230k it needs a clutch and trans, though.

Those Explorers are heavy trucks and the clutch doesn't last forever like other cars. Even being driven very kindly, my folks' '93 is on the second clutch and it's ready for a third.

However, I think it's weird that your clutch just up and failed. Maybe the slave cylinder or fork got stuck or something?

65ShelbyClone said:
First of all, congrats on having one of the few Explorers with a stick. My folks have a '93 Sport they bought new and it's the best damn 4wd I've driven. after 230k it needs a clutch and trans, though.

Those Explorers are heavy trucks and the clutch doesn't last forever like other cars. Even being driven very kindly, my folks' '93 is on the second clutch and it's ready for a third.

However, I think it's weird that your clutch just up and failed. Maybe the slave cylinder or fork got stuck or something?
If you want a clutch that lasts behind a high torque motor like the Explorer GT40 5.0, you need to upgrade to something like CenterForce's Dual Friction. The stock clutches suck behind anything with more than 250 ft/lbs of torque. The 94-95 Stang HD clutch didn't last 6 months behind my warmed up 5.0 in my Ranger. It ain't just the vehicle weight and horsepower, you've got to factor in the torque the motor puts out too.

oboebrian said:
It's been a couple years since working on a manual transmission, but the trans in my 93 Explorer (replacement for my 02 mustang that got wrecked) acted funny Friday night. I was almost home on my 65-70 minute commute when it seemed that the clutch started slipping. It was acting fine all day except on the end of the trip home.

I stopped at a light, when it turned green; I hit the gas and let out the clutch. The car started to inch forward, only the engine started to race. At 10 MPH & 3,800 RPM, I shifted into 2nd; At 25 MPH and 4K I shifted into third. At this time, I started to smell burnt clutch. If I tried to shift into third at a lower RMP, the engine would almost die.

I was able to limp it the 5 min home and barely up into the driveway.

This morning I got down there before it got too hot. The transmission had clean fluid up to the bottom of the fill hole.

I pulled off the access panel on the bell housing only to find that there wasn't an inordinate amount of clutch dust on the flywheel, but some on the inside of the bell housing.

The clutch is fully engaging and releasing with the clutch reservoir fully filled and rubber lines looking ok.

My thoughts are that I have a burnt out clutch that needs replacement. Is this assessment correct or is there any other things I should check before hauling it 60 minutes to a transmission shop?

Thanks!

May be time to rebuild/clean the slave cyl. being the lowest point on the hyd system it gets all the crap particals that are in the fluid pushed into it.
that can cause the fluid not to return to the master when you release the petal.

PB