massive gas leak

parchisi

Apr 13, 2006
New Mexico
I must have doen something to my tank while I had it dropped, cuz yesterday I filled up and gas started pouring everywhere. i looked underneath and it was pouring from where the filler tube mates with the actual tank. The rubber grommet or whatever is in pretty bad shape. Can anybody fill me in on what it takes to fix this? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

been there

I had mine go bad on me from dropping my tank too many times. I didn't have a full tank of gas at the time so I didn't notice it. The next day I was doing an autocross event, and every time I would make a hard left hand corner I would shoot fuel out all over the place. :nonono: So now I keep an extra one on hand.
I think in my chiltons manual they reccomend replacing the grommet each time the tank is removed.

Nacho, you only lost a gallon of gas? :rlaugh:

Seriously, you found the tank grommet at AZ? I've always had to get them from the dealer or resto houses. Please share more info!

I'd add that I like to coat the new grommet in motor oil when I go to install the tank back up (and put the filler back through).

Good luck.