Max HP stock blocks can handle???

Dan Gray

Founding Member
Oct 27, 2002
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
I know this question has probobly been asked a million times on here but i just can't seem to come up with a solid answer, so i thought i would get peoples opinions and go from there....

I currently have a 331 stroker motor producing 370hp at the rear wheels.. i have come across a Vortec S-trim supercharger kit and was thinking of rebuilding the engine and installing the kit. But i just keep hearing different stories on how much HP the stock blocks can handle.....Now i will be using a main girdle but this is still a street driven car so all strengthening devices must be street worthy... with 370 RWHP im guessing that the engine is producing 425-450 hp and with adding an s-trim to this combo running around 9-11pounds of boost i would guess the engines hp to around 625-650hp...

So my big question is what kills stock blocks? is it horsepower or engine RPM. And can a stock block handle 6000RPM and 650 hp?

Thanks
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

I have 2 buddies with a 347 stroker pushing 590rwhp all day long and had no problems, then again he doesnt beat the ***** out of it either!!! All depends how you drive and what you are going to do with the car. :nice:

You might fill it 1/4 or 1/2 way and get away with 650 but then you may have cooling issues. Its really a block per block basis on how much they will take some have split them at 450 some claim they have been fine with 600.

80% of the time a black fails because of a horrible tune and/or driver error. (i.e. missing a shift and tacking the engine to 9,000 rpm).

That said, its the basic rule of thumb to stay below 450hp on the stock block. Anything over that is really pressing the issue and considering the amount of money it takes to get to those horsepower levels one should not risk losing their espensive parts due to a stock block and engine failure.

Darts are expensive, thats why Im trying my luck with the 331 mexican block I have.

Typically the stock block is good to about 450 hp. There are some really lucky ones what have an exceptional build and the stars are lined up correctly but don't bank on it. The girdles don't strengthen the block because its not part of the block. It will help keep your block together if it cracks to lessen the potential damage to the other components but I wouldn't hold my breath. with 600hp its really a matter of time and how often you beat on it. At that point treat it like a stock T5.
Kevin