Maybe its the wiring??

Ill try to make this short but its still long, my car got broken into a couple months ago and the idiots didnt know what they were doing and messed up my wiring. When I first got it out of the shop the "theft" light would come on when I was driving and flash intermittently. I took it back and they fixed it. That was months ago. Today, I was driving and the "theft" light started blinking and my gauges went haywire, radio cut off, engine jerked like it wanted to die. All this lasted for a split second and came back to normal. About an hour or so later, I'm driving again and the light comes on and the gauges go crazy again. Well, that was around 10:15 this morning. Its now 11 pm and the car has been parked. I go to start it and nothing, not even a click. I try again and it sounds like its about to turn over but doesnt. I didnt want to keep trying it cause I could hear a low humming sound and there was a slight smell. Maybe the starter?
Last week my car died in the parking lot, I got it jumped, it died again, got a ride to autozone got a new battery, took the old battery to get tested and it was perfectly fine so I returned the new battery.
Is last weeks issue related? Is this the same issue from when my car got broken into?

My car is a 98 with no factory alarm. The previous owner did a self install on an aftermarket alarm which is still under the hood but not connected. (as far as I know)

Anyone who is good at electrical, I hope this is enough info to at least tell me where to begin. Thanks in advance! :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Had a similar issue, chaffed wire was causing the same problem. Finally wire was exposed enough and became a dead short, car wouldnt fo anything but flash the theft light.

You check your fuses yet? Mine was blowing the PCM fuse....I see you have a 98 also, not sure which all were affected but the manual has the PCM and fuel pump fuses mislabelled/swapped.