Mechanical to electric fuel pump.

Chetly

Aug 6, 2003
I have a carbed 85 mustang with a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the engine. I have a holley electrical fuel pump that i would like to used. It mounts near the gas tank (at least thats where the guy who had it before me had it mounted). I was wondering how i hook it up. Is it as simple as splicing into a hot wire that goes to the ignition and grounding it, then hooking up the fuel lines where they need to go? Has anyone ever done this before that can share how they did it. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

should be about that simple. i did that on one of my other cars, but i put the pump on a switch. two reasons. it is an anti theft deal, and the car has no accessory key setting, so i can have the key on and listen to the radio w/o running the pump.

i think you can get little low pressure regulators if you want. i have not used one. dont really see the need.

anyhow, hook it up however you want. be really careful about having perfect connections. you dont ever want a spark around fuel or more importantly, the fumes. make sure you use a fuse and all that.

about all i can think of. good luck.

also, on those small pusher pumps, i like to put a filter before the pump and after. i think the one before it is most important. the sock in the tank, if it has one, does not do much. i also use a clear filter on the line to the carb. makes trouble shooting real easy.
you will have to prime the pump, so dont freak out if it does not work if you just hook it up and try to start it. i generally hook up a temporary line to the output of the pump, and run the line to a gas can. turn the pump on and wait for fuel to come out of the line. shut it off and then hook up the real output line real quick. otherwise it cavitates.
good luck. piece of cake.