Mexican Paint Job

Will I ever see that car again....lol!?

• Dumb or dumber

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay. Update. My wife and I did a three day trip to TJ. I was concerned. Went down armed with new batteries to use in the SPOT I have in the rear speaker platform. I wanted to see the car. Needed to see the car.
We left on Christmas morning, arrived in TJ the same day. Next day we went to see Armando. I'm not sure if he was happy to see me. He had a lot of work going on. Two vans and a Hummer in the booth being buffed. He was polite. He took me to the car. A half block away, behind steel doors, guarded by a big ass dog, there she was. Still waiting her turn. It's only been two months. I need to be patient. He said he would get to it and I believe him. I didn't even put the new batteries in the SPOT. The car is fine. I feel much better. I'll sleep much better. I'll be taking my 79 Dodge pickup down with me the next time when the Mustang is finished and do a swap.. Ill bring my baby home, just like I thought. I'm anxious to get her back together. The garage feels so large and empty.

• Sponsors (?)

Okay. Update. My wife and I did a three day trip to TJ. I was concerned. Went down armed with new batteries to use in the SPOT I have in the rear speaker platform. I wanted to see the car. Needed to see the car.
We left on Christmas morning, arrived in TJ the same day. Next day we went to see Armando. I'm not sure if he was happy to see me. He had a lot of work going on. Two vans and a Hummer in the booth being buffed. He was polite. He took me to the car. A half block away, behind steel doors, guarded by a big ass dog, there she was. Still waiting her turn. It's only been two months. I need to be patient. He said he would get to it and I believe him. I didn't even put the new batteries in the SPOT. The car is fine. I feel much better. I'll sleep much better. I'll be taking my 79 Dodge pickup down with me the next time when the Mustang is finished and do a swap.. Ill bring my baby home, just like I thought. I'm anxious to get her back together. The garage feels so large and empty.

That's got to be a huge relief. :nice:

Many, MANY moons ago, I lived in So Cal and there are some INSANELY talented painters down there a lot of which are better than 90% of what you see on TV car shows.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the finished product. You might show your painter this thread and explain the kind of exposure he's going to get by being featured here. I don't think there is a problem if you would like to post up info about the painter (with his permission of course).

I was afraid we were going to have to go to Mexico to find you ! Glad it is still there .
Our crew chief went to TJ after the Baja race in his brand new 87 Chevy duely ,The first night it was stolen and never recovered .Some of the locals told him it was probably the police chief him self that stole it .
Can't wait to see the finished paint .

It's safe. TJ is safe....clean too...cleaner than I remember it being. I think the media gives it a bad rap. I can't wait either. That's another reason for the trip. He'll do it up, I know he will. I've seen his work. Very nice.

Reactions: 1 user
My local paint and body guy here in CT, who's done a few daily driver insurance damage claims for me in the past, quoted $15,000 for paint and body work on my 73 Mach1. His rational was that he didn't want his name associated with a half a$$ed job - If he was going to do it, he would only do it with the condition that it be done right = complete disassembly. All paint and any existing body work would be removed and redone to his satisfaction. He said, without knowing everything that's going on under the current paint job, he can't guarantee the job and if I can't guarantee the work, then I won't do it.

Worth noting that I purchased this car from California and I suspect it was previously painted in Mexico which is why it needs a new paint job. Whole car is covered in fisheye and paint is flaking off in some areas (not rust related).

I have gotten local quotes between $5,000 & $7,000 to fix the issues and reshoot without major disassembly.

WOW! $16k sounds to rich for my blood. I'm glad I found the guy who did my Mustang. $4,600 for him to hang quarters, rockers, POR 15 the underside of the panels, POR 15 the underside of the car, undercoat the car, prime the car, and paint the car. He even made his own torque boxes, fixed the shoddy floor job, align the doors, and fenders. The guy does great work and is now currently working on my Dad's 57 Chevy hardtop. Needless to say I have another project waiting in the wings for him. Here is a picture of the front end after I hung the bumper.
DSCF3771.JPG

Wow! That's really gorgeous. Unfortunately, 46 hundred is too rich for my blood also...not really. I just wanted to see what the guys in Mexico could do.If they finish it up right, I'm dropping my truck by next. Love the truck but it's ugh.

if you are looking for a higher end paint job, remember that the materials are going to run around $2000 minimum. and then you have to pay for the labor to blow apart your work, body work, prime and paint it. $16,000 is rather high, i would expect more like $6000 though.

but you still have options here;

1: you can take it to a place like one day, and have them do the body work and paint. you are looking at more like $1500-2000.

2: you can do the final body work yourself and prime it, and have the higher end shop shoot the color, and then you do the finish work. that will still run you right around $3000-5000, and you have to use the primer the paint guy recommends you use as it will match the paint he is going to use.

3: you can do the work yourself. depending on what materials you use, it will still run you about $2000-3000.
I traded some stuff that he needed for the paint that I needed...great guys..got all the sealer primer and top coat on the cheap side....yay!!

Nothing wrong with it as long as you know the shop. On another forum a guy got his VW ghia disassembled, body work,painted and reassembled for $3500.
1282719.jpg

1282718.jpg
Nothing wrong with it as long as you know the shop. On another forum a guy got his VW ghia disassembled, body work,painted and reassembled for $3500.
1282719.jpg

1282718.jpg
I had a 69 Karmanghia....T boned in an intersection....can't fix that. I couldn't at the time but would give it a go today.....It seemed overwhelming at the time...

I know things are cheaper in Mexico but you still have to wonder exactly what type of materials they will be using for a price that low .I used to be able to buy the paint for between $700 and $1000. for Centari but that is no longer available here ,maybe Mexico .Any thing we are allowed to use now will cost at the least $2000 ,and that only depends upon the color ,it could be higher .That is only for paint and clear ,this doesn't count labor ,primer ,bondo ,sand paper ,masking tape ,masking paper ,fine paper for color sanding ,buffing compounds ,buffing pads and more that i am probably forgetting .
I brought the paint from San Francisco and the quality is top notch....He supplied the labor..I can't be bothered at that price...

Ill tell you what a friend of mine did. Went and signed up for a beginners auto body night class at the local vo-tech. It was about a six week course for #125.00 where you could bring your own vehicle in to work on. The instructor help guide him thru getting it ready for paint. These schools have top notch equipment and paint booths so the last week of class they had his car in the booth and the instructor painted it for him. Several people in the class had painting experience as well and offered to lay down a paint job for him too. He paid school price for the paint and clear but all other supplies were included in the course. You could also possibly leave it at the school for the students to do for you instead of signing up for a class?

By the way I hope you picked chili pepper red with guacamole green interior :)

My local paint and body guy here in CT, who's done a few daily driver insurance damage claims for me in the past, quoted $15,000 for paint and body work on my 73 Mach1. His rational was that he didn't want his name associated with a half a$$ed job - If he was going to do it, he would only do it with the condition that it be done right = complete disassembly. All paint and any existing body work would be removed and redone to his satisfaction. He said, without knowing everything that's going on under the current paint job, he can't guarantee the job and if I can't guarantee the work, then I won't do it.

Worth noting that I purchased this car from California and I suspect it was previously painted in Mexico which is why it needs a new paint job. Whole car is covered in fisheye and paint is flaking off in some areas (not rust related).

I have gotten local quotes between $5,000 & $7,000 to fix the issues and reshoot without major disassembly.
That's his rational...that doesn't make it universal...it's probably true for him..but it you know what underneath an you tell him, sign a waiver and get on with it...