MGW shifter

• Sponsors (?)

Ultimately, I think I'd like the MGW knob but with a shift pattern instead of the logo.
The ROUSH knob looks perfect aside from "ROUSH" on the side (would prefer plain).
I'm also still considering the other MGW knob choices or a plain Hurst ball with a boot adapter from grabberpony.com (would buy the knob from grabberpony but I don't like the font used for the shift pattern numbers).

The Roush knob also includes the boot adapter and a jam nut

So how do you guys have your shifters set (percentage of stock throw length)??

5 turns - 33%

Gripper knob

I just installed a new MGW "Gripper" knob, with satin finish and 5 speed pattern. I wasn't 100% sure I'd like it, but I was wrong - I freakin' love it. Like everything MGW sells, it's unique and very high quality. :nice:

I don't know. I like the MGW boot adapter much better ...

Well, looking back at Lennyvb's pic it does look good, albeit more 'unfinished' than the grabberpony adapter/locknut.

The exposed threads and o-rings are actually kind of cool in a hotrod gearhead sort of a way...maybe I'll just order a ball to fit the 12mm threads and give it a try. I can always add another adapter later.

I just installed a new MGW "Gripper" knob, with satin finish and 5 speed pattern. I wasn't 100% sure I'd like it, but I was wrong - I freakin' love it. Like everything MGW sells, it's unique and very high quality. :nice:

PICS PICS PICS PICS!!!!

Well, looking back at Lennyvb's pic it does look good, albeit more 'unfinished' than the grabberpony adapter/locknut.

The exposed threads and o-rings are actually kind of cool in a hotrod gearhead sort of a way...maybe I'll just order a ball to fit the 12mm threads and give it a try. I can always add another adapter later.

I purchased mine two weeks ago and asked George if they would be coming out with the classic knob with the five speed graphic. He thought they would have something in about 8 weeks and suggested that I get the stock shaft to use with the stock knob until the new knobs came in. That was my intention but when I found the Roush knobs would fit the stock threads, I figured it was worth a shot. Now that I have it, I'll keep it. I like the look and the exposed threads and jam nut aren't visible when you're sitting in the car. If that bothers you , you could use the Roush boot adaptor which was included with the knob - that would cover the threads - but I like it just the way it is. If you want the finished look, wait for MGW to come out with the new ball. Check with them for availability.
Here's a pic from another angle.

Attachments

• P1000702.JPG
    P1000702.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 190
I'm still waiting on MGW to get the classic ball with the shift pattern in stock (a few more weeks)...

In the meantime I'm enjoying driving the car with the stock shifter knob. I got the MGW installed today (finally!) and it's a HUGE improvement over the Hurst. I actually like driving my car again and I can speed shift now!

Wow just read the 5 Speed Shifter Comparo in the Nov issue of 5.0 Mustang and guess what, Hurst came out on top .. MGW came out second.

I have heard nothing but good things about MGW and was considering one to replace my Hurst, but so far I have had no problems power shifting so I guess until I start having problems I use the money else where for now..

How many turns out do you have it set?

I set it at 6 turns for now. I like it!! I don't notice it being much different than the Hurst in throw length (might actually feel a little shorter) and it's WAAAAY smoother and goes into all gears easier (especially the dreaded 2-3 shift).

Wow just read the 5 Speed Shifter Comparo in the Nov issue of 5.0 Mustang and guess what, Hurst came out on top .. MGW came out second.

That's unbelievable!! What was the criteria...rattling at full throttle and high RPMs or difficulty in shifting? :rlaugh:

For what it's worth, I can understand people liking the Hurst. It looks cool and definitely has a retro feel...and it's probably an improvement over the stock shifter. There's no comparison between it and the MGW though...the MGW is WAAAAAY better.

I have heard nothing but good things about MGW and was considering one to replace my Hurst, but so far I have had no problems power shifting so I guess until I start having problems I use the money else where for now..

I wonder how much money it costed them to get that out come. :shrug: