Might be getting a V6 stang...

Alex857

Feb 14, 2006
Hey guys...im not really new to this forum because i had a name a little while ago but i forgot the password and stuff. So anyways...its very very possible that i might be getting a 98 v6 stang. Its got 70,000 miles and its really clean. Its got a 5speed which is a major plus in my book. All thats left is for my dad to call in and see how much insurance is gonna be. Somethings telling me that its going to be alot but im not too sure yet.

What are some easy/not too expensive things that i can do to this car? I was thinking like a CAI or a chip but i dont think that i want a chip right now. Another question...if i put duals on it will it sound good? Or will it sound like the ricers that live on my street with v6s?

Thanks everybody....

Alex

• Sponsors (?)

How old are you?
I'm assuming, since it's a '98, that you're paying cash. So insurance might not be too bad, depending on your coverage.

First thing to do is duals, to get rid of that ridiculous single tailpipe. Depending on the mufflers you use it should sound good. The reason ricers sound so bad is because they aren't running pushrod V6es, like ours. Our cars have a much lopier sound.
Most people suggest:
-Mac Flowpath
-Flowmaster
-Magnaflow
-Borla

There's also a brand called Ravin that is sold at Midas. According to Mustang Monthly they're the most aggressive sounding mufflers(they did a comparison). And everybody that's ever heard them has agreed. I just don't think anyone's tried them on a V6 yet.

DUAL EXHAUST definitely... I did it on my '98, I love it. I went with Flowmaster. Next would to be get new wheels, if your car still has the BS 15 inch mickey mouse wheels that were stock. Just doing those 2 things will be a major improvement.
You can do the cold air intake, but really it is mostly for looks.. I had one from BBK installed and there's not much difference in power. But, it definitely looks much better.

You could do pulleys, I'm not a huge fan because essentially its just taking power away from other things for the benefit of a few extra ponies, but I know plenty of people that have done it and are happy with it.
http://rpm-mustangs.com/cart/product.php?productid=16160&cat=324&page=1

Since it's a 5-speed, maybe toss in a new short throw shifter, no added HP, but it's a nice mod for quicker shifts.

If you do exhaust, keep it true dual..I personally think its a cop out to just go from two pipes to one then to two mufflers..unessecary restriction there. You can have a exhaust place fab a h-pipe for you, or just buy one, they run around 80bucks and then you can use and cat back exhaust for a GT if youd like to.

You can also toss in a T-Loc..make both those rear wheels spin, once again, no added HP, but faster acceleration. Doing that, you can add some gears, 3.73 or 4.10..gas milage will hurt slightly but it helps with acceleration. Not something that I would recommend doing on your own if you dont know what your doing..alot of shimming and precise stuff going on there so if you wanna do gears, take it and get it done somewhere.

Thats about the best I can tell you right now..when you want to get fancy you can do cam, ported intake, S/C or Turbo..goes on and on.

I think that i am deffinetly gonna go with exhast when i get the car. IF i get the car. I hope i can afford the insurance. Im not going to be paying in cash because i just turned 16 and i dont have the money to just plop down right now, so i will make payments. Its gonna cost somewhere around like 5,000 to 6,000. I was thinking of doing pulleys but i dont quite really understand how they work. Could someone explain to me? I was just looking at 98 3.8 kits on flowmaster and they seem pretty pricey. A lot of people are telling me to get a dry shot of nitrous but i dont want that...it just seems like fake horsepower to me. And i dont have that kind of money. For the wheels i was thinking of a pair of Cragar SS's cuz im like obsessed lol.

Red98: Would you happen to have a video or soundclip of what your car sounds like and what the exhaust looks like? You do have a v6 right?

Red98: Would you happen to have a video or soundclip of what your car sounds like and what the exhaust looks like? You do have a v6 right?
[/QUOTE

I don't have a video clip cause like my hero Al Bundy, I am too stupid to get my video camera and computer to get along. BUT, I do have this..

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=517454

It's a video clip posted by another member; he has Flowmaster Deltaflows on his car. Mine are Force II's not quite as loud as these. Yes Flowmasters are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Yes my car is a 3.8 V6. Here is a picture of the Flowmasters.

Attachments

• Flowmasters.JPG
    Flowmasters.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 104
Alex857 said:
I think that i am deffinetly gonna go with exhast when i get the car. IF i get the car. I hope i can afford the insurance. Im not going to be paying in cash because i just turned 16 and i dont have the money to just plop down right now, so i will make payments. Its gonna cost somewhere around like 5,000 to 6,000. I was thinking of doing pulleys but i dont quite really understand how they work. Could someone explain to me? I was just looking at 98 3.8 kits on flowmaster and they seem pretty pricey. A lot of people are telling me to get a dry shot of nitrous but i dont want that...it just seems like fake horsepower to me. And i dont have that kind of money. For the wheels i was thinking of a pair of Cragar SS's cuz im like obsessed lol.

Underdrive pulleys free up power that is spent going to your accessories. So essentially you are taking a bit of the power that would be going to turn your alternator, a/c compressor, etc. It generally isnt bad and wont harm your accessories performance.

Crager SS wheels are nice, I've always liked them. You can get the same look by going with the 99-04 mustang bullit wheels, but Cragers will look good too.

Hello, about your insurance-----

ME------$1,700 a year with a '02 V6
Buddy---$1,400 a year with a '89 Chevy
Buddy2--$1,600 a year with a '90 Golf GTI

And we're all on our parents insurance

hey man, im 17 and i live in cinci and my insurence is only $1500 on a 98 V6. Right now i will tell you, mustangs are great for moding b/c everything is cheap. (Once you start to earn al little mo $ you wont feel too bad about putting 450 in the exhaust :nice: ) I have pulleys, springs, and t/lok w/ 3.73 gears i have waiting to install. I already have the 17' cabra wheels. I would say that my biggest problem when i got the car was the sloppy handeling. I would go with spring and rims first. You will thank yourself. Insurence really is not that bad esp when you look at what you could be paying for imports. i looked and a god damn civc was more expensive! Hope you have luck with the car, matt.:SNSign:

Insurance depends on how old the car is too. So the new it is, the more it goes for. They also factor in the area you live in and the amount of crime it has. If it's insured under your parent's insurance, then they factor in their driving record. They also factor in your sex, because if your a male you pay more :notnice: