Mileage for SD vs. MA.

Dachipsta

Oct 1, 2006
Hey fellas,
Looks like the subject of mpg has been beaten to death on here lately. The only thing that I couldn't find was a comparison of mileage between SD vs. MA. I have heard that even on a non-modified stang, converting to Mass Air will give a boost in fuel economy. I currently have Speed Density in my 87 and in the beginning, I was going to give my head/cam swap a shot with SD, but was told that in addition to the usual list of reasons to go with MA, my mileage would see a significant improvement. Is this indeed the case? If I wont see any MPG gain, then I would assume stay SD until I have no other choice.

Any thoughts or references you can share?

• Sponsors (?)

i would definately go with a maf conversion if you plan on doing heads cam and intake. if you dont im willing to bet your car will buck, jerk and run really rich. besides, you wont see an improvement with or without maf within the first month of the new combo, (or however long it takes to get over it) because you will always have the pedal to the floor.

My SD car w/3.55s and a 5spd gets 15-17mpg around town, and I'm not very nice to it. I'm not very impressed with this as my buddy's MAF car with similar mods gets closer to 20, so maybe it's true. I will be doing the conversion along with my h/c/i this winter.

i would definately go with a maf conversion if you plan on doing heads cam and intake. if you dont im willing to bet your car will buck, jerk and run really rich. besides, you wont see an improvement with or without maf within the first month of the new combo, (or however long it takes to get over it) because you will always have the pedal to the floor.

Oh so true my friend...lol. I know you are right on that note. Prolly not...:) My mileage has been on the shabby side for a while now and I know most of the reason it sux is that I cant ever keep my foot out of it. I did throw on a GT-40 tubular and had hoped to see maybe a bit of an improvement in mileage but so far, it aint happening, and that is cuz of what you mentioned I'm sure...lol.

As far as going MA, I am pretty much sold already on the idea. I just thought I would try and confirm the MPG issue as my money for the heads and cam swap is going to be a bit on hold, so to speak for the time being. I was debating on at least going ahead with the MA conversion to save some coin on gas in the interim. I guess I am gonna just belly up and get er duun. Does the MM size of the meter matter so much as sizing it properly for the injectors? Thing of it is, I am going with an ED cam and some AFR 165's so I am prolly gonna have to swap up to some 24lb'rs. Thinking about it that way, it wouldnt really pan out to do the MA now with a 19lb meter then would it. Man, I am glad I got somebody to talk these things out with...Sheesh. I am DEFINATELY not pulling that upper plenum to install new injectors and then do it again for the heads.....F--- that. I think I will just wait and do it all at the same time like I had planned originally....Thanks fellas for the input.

If I am missing something concerning the meter and the injectors, LMK....Thanks