Modding My 1996 Gt

tjmaxx

Jun 21, 2004
Ive been thinking a lot about getting a 2011 GT but I really dont want the payment so im thinking about modding my 1996 GT a little more. My goal for now would be to get into the 12's. I live about 10 minutes from a track so I would like to start going more often.

Current mods:

4.10 gear
king cobra clutch
mac offroad x-pipe
mac cat back
mac cold air intake
lowering springs (2")
18" chrome saleen replica's with 285 sumito's
line lock
upr firewall adjuster
steeda triax shifter
I believe that is it :chin

I also have bbk pullies I need to install

Im thinking about going with some nitto 555r's should I get 285's or sell my rear 9" rims and get 10" rims with a 305 drag radial? would that even make a difference? im also thinking about getting some upper and lower rear control arms, subframe connectors and maybe a 100 shot of nitrous. Would these mods with my current mods get me near the 12's? Also my car has 124k miles should I be worried about adding nitrous with this many miles? or should I be worried about racing and modding at all?

• Sponsors (?)

I didnt really want to gets into heads and cams yet. My long term goal for when the motors needs work or replaced is to order a shortblock and good heads and cams then a turbo eventually. But then were looking at a new trans to. My wife really wants me to gets the new 5.0 so I have some deciding to do.

Have you ever driven the new 5.0? That will change your mind about the car payments

+1, I test drove one because I took the wifes explorer in for service... it was almost as fast as my car and it was WAYYY more refined... had I not dumped so much cash in my car I would have driven over to the stealership and traded it in no questions asked. My only beef with the new 5.0 is how little pedal feel the clutch has.

I'm on the same boat with no payments. I am anti-payment. I love the way the new Mustangs look and you can't argue with their power output, but in the end you'd be starting all over fresh and have an added bill.

Well I test drove a 2013 and a 2011 both brand new and both were really fast and fun to drive. I must say for a stock exhaust it sounds pretty mean. I also like the leather seats compared to other cars they are really nice. The 13 I drove was the bright blue and the 11 was yellow. The 13 had navigation but the standard speaker system, the 11 had the standard stereo but had the shaker 1000 system with the subs. To be honest I liked the 11 better probably only due to the fact that I was able to test drive it without a sales person so I got on it a little more and took it for a longer ride, The shaker 1000 is nice also, the wife really liked it so that's a plus. It is definitely one of the fastest stock cars ive ever driven. My issue is that neither dealer was willing to work on the price more than $500 off? I figured Ford would have better insentives on these cars? Both were listed at 37k i figured they be willing to let the 11 go for less than 30k due to the fact that its now 2 model years old? What are you guys seeing these cars go for? I may go test drive a used Roush sport, only has 6k miles on it, they are asking $29,900 seems fare