Modifying seats on 2004 Stang GT?

Tomtom9401

Oct 24, 2008
Hey guys, so i bought a mustang 2 days ago and i love it so much. It is my first manual transmission car so i am still learning to drive all over again haha. It is a blast to drive. I notice that when i go to release the clutch, right when it starts to grab that my leg is basically at full extents upward and it starts to hit the steering wheel. I have the rely on either my ankle which has arthritis in it from football, or going at a slight angle. This is becoming a problem because i cant really use a left turn signal haha and i look like a fool when i take off almost breaking my neck. I am 6 foot 5 the seat is all the way back and pointing fully downward as well as the steering wheel all the up. I was just wondering if anyone has made any kind of modifcations to say the steering wheel or possibly the seat that will allow me a little bit more of room, im not really looking to invest into aftermarket seats. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Go to mustangworld's website. They have a write up on how to make the front seats go back a little further. I think it just involves removing the seats and the seat brackets, and remounting the brackets so the seat sits back further. :nice:

Wow. 6' 5" in a mustang. This reminds me of police academy when Hightower and Mahone went out to practice driving and hightower reaches in and rips out the drivers seat and sits on the back seat. But seriously the only thing I can think of would be removing the seat from its current location and moving the mounts back a couple of inches. It should still allow you to move your seat forwards to accomodate shorter drivers but should be moved back far enough to eliminate your problem.

I'm 6'5" too with a 36" inseam - I know where you're coming from. I replaced the power seat tracks on my driver seat with manual rails from a Fox-body. They go a little further back and sit a little lower - not a lot but just enough to make it not feel so claustrophobic for my knees. Occasionally my hand will still run in to my left leg if i have to change gears while turning but it's a lot better than it was before - I have no problem driving comfortably for hours.

Looking at the power seat rail, it looks like you could drill new mounting holes for the seat in the rail and move it back 3/4", maybe a full inch.

I talked to someone who had the LRS extenders that joshjwc9 linked and he said they were great. I was concerned about it raising the seat 1/2" but he said that with the seat able to go so much further back, his legs were straighter and not in the way of the wheel anymore so the little bit of extra height worked out fine. He said the overall ergonomics were much better since he didn't have to lay the seat way back anymore, he could sit up straight with his arms a proper distance from the wheel.

Thanks guys! I guess i should have done a search hehe, didnt realize it was a common enough probelm for someone to actually have a specific braket to allow more room, cool beans. Ill take a look at the seat tomorrow, i may just decide to deal with it until i get pulled over for not using a left turn signal haha.

I'm 6'4 with a 36 inch inseam. I had the seat track extenders on my stock seats and they made the car fit alot better. The extenders give you about 4 inches more room.

I bought some Corbeau seats and felt that the the seats sat too high with the extenders. The new seats were far enough back that I did not need the extenders.

I also have the clutch pedal adjuster and that helped. The clutch pedal now sits at the same height as the brake pedal.

I needed a longer shift lever after I moved the seat way back so I put a UPR Rockcrusher lever on my shifter and now my car fits me.

Attachments

• Seatrail extensions 004.jpg
    Seatrail extensions 004.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 110
  • Dkblue98GT 018.jpg
    Dkblue98GT 018.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 85