Mongoose kit installed......but is this noise normal?

That's funny. My V2-SQ head unit(we thought) was leaking oil down to the maf and filter so i sent the head unit back to Vortech and they just changed out the seals and bearing too. Said they didn't find anything too. Now it hasn't leaked since the new one. Go figure. BTW, if you haven't already. You might want to run a catch can from the driver side breather hose on the valve cover. Most people are catching blow by oil. I have one there and on the pcv valve and catch more on the pcv side. Just a thought.

• Sponsors (?)

Today I finally managed to get the car on the dyno - and I am very impressed with the results! Power delivery was really smooth and the tuner was very impressed with the kit and the mapping done on the car. Peak power was 388 at the flywheel which translates to 360 at the wheels. Torque was 397 lb/ft at the fly. Boost peaked at 10 psi which was quite surprising seeing as I'm only meant to see 8 psi, a/f was quite rich (and safe) at 10.5 - 11.2 at WOT. I spoke with Tim at MPH and he said he had added a little more fuel as he was uncertain of the elevation so should be able to squeeze an extra 10 horses out! Overall really impressed, car is great to drive on the street especially with the 4.10's :D

Graph shows flywheel power figures

Attachments

• Dyno Plot.jpg
    Dyno Plot.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 127
Nice numbers. Another thing to keep in mind that probably should have been mentioned earlier is that the Vortech head unit requires a continuous supply of oil from an external source (fresh feed line from the oil pan). Because of this, spinning it free hand on your living room floor without continuous lubrication may have been the source of the majority of the noise you were hearing. I would imagine once the blower was fully primed with oil, brought up to operating temperature and the bearings broke in a little, it should (did) quite down substantially?

Well got the supercharger back from Vortech today. I was told it had a minor rebuild with new bearings & seals but no other info was available. I've now got it back on the car and it seems a little better although still quite noisy. I just feel much better having sent it back for them to check and it's given me peace of mind. After looking at loads of Vortech video clips I would say it's probably ok. I'm going to the dyno on Wednesday afternoon so I'll keep you posted!

Edge - do you have your car running yet?

good news dude !!! nice numbers too...

I have the car running, just trying to get the map right so I can drive it to the dyno on part throttle/off boost, then I can map the WOT safely rather than doing it on the motorway :D It seems ok so far, i have had to move the idle air intake feed from the boosted to the atmospheric side of the blower as it brings the idle down FAR quicker.

We'll see how it does... it made 330hp with the old blower, and this one should be WAY more efficient and should pull 14 psi, instead of 11, so I cant wait to get the numbers, i think im going to aim for 12.0:1 for safety too...

we'll see.....we'll see.....

I'll try and get a video of it too, to compare sounds...

EDGE

Hi Edge,

Unit is definately quieter than it was initially having about 400 miles on it now. Keeping an eye on everything. Sounds more like gear noise than anything else. I think if it were an issue with the bearings it would have let go long before now or I would have play in either the pulley or impellar shaft. Got to love the boost though! Just enjoying it at the moment!:D

Hows yours coming on?