Monroe Handler on cardomain.com

• Sponsors (?)

Is there anyway to ID a Handler as being real, as opposed to one made from the body kit you used to be able to buy? I think there was something like 2 or 3 press cars, and then the 7 street cars like that one.

The handlers are a different looking ride for sure.

Wouldn't mind having one of the body kits to put one together with a 385 series under the hood.

holy extra cooling batman
attachment.php

Attachments

• handler.jpg
    handler.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 758
hmmm... 5-lug wheels? I thought the originals had 4 lugs. All the press photos I remember showed 4-lug wheels. In fact, I thought the only mods to the 7 press cars were body/paint and wheels/tires/shocks. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Can you really still get a body kit? I'd like to check that out if possible. I've always liked those but never really got anywhere finding anything. I found some place that USED to make the kits. That was a long time ago though, I can't remember where it was... ?

fourone3 said:
Can you really still get a body kit? I'd like to check that out if possible. I've always liked those but never really got anywhere finding anything. I found some place that USED to make the kits. That was a long time ago though, I can't remember where it was... ?

Do a web search for Maier racing, they still make the kit. Last time I called about it it was $1300 plus $200 shipping

>Is there anyway to ID a Handler as being real

The original handler was made out of steel. M&F had a write up on them about 10 years ago. I don't remember if the other six that were made were fiberglass or steel. There were only seven made and all of them were produced for advertisement value... as noted by all the stickers on the sides.

d

I smell a FAKE Handler. Someone brought up the wheels, and you're right the original had 4 lug wheels. ANother thing, the Grille is wrong. As far as I can recall, offhand, the grille did NOT have turn signal lights at all. At least not like ours do. And something is funny about the fog lights. They just don't look right... :scratch:

i am looking at the 1987 hotrod magazine yearbook. the monroe handler in the mustang II section does not have directionals in the grill. the fog lights in the article also appear to be about a 1/3 smaller than the one in the link above. it says (1987) a company called creative car craft was making the fiberglass kit. even had a cb antenna on the roof.

there is a b&w picture of the "hot rod magazine 1977 project monroe handler"
it appears to be a red or orange color with a lighter color from the top of the doors over the top of the car. they mention centerline 14x8 in front and 14x9 in rear with a 50 series tire. the wheels appear to be 5 lug and match the ones on the car from the link above. this one also says all the body work was metal, not fiberglass.

i can do some scans at work tomorrow if anybody is interested

Blue Thunder said:
I've been planning on fabricating a roll pan for the rear of my II, somewhat similar to the one in that pic. I wonder if that kit part would fit on a coupe with some slight massaging..

if you want I can e-mail you a picture of what the Handler rollpan looks lke on a coupe, my 77 coupe had one on.

Monroe Handler

Hi everyone,I am new to this site,even thou I have Been reading it for over
a year or so.I have been fond of the Monroe Handler since the artical in
Hot Rod in June 1977 and the kit release by Revell.I have a few diff articals
with lots of photos.The original car was all steel and powered by a 351w
and a 4 spd,Centerline 14x8 in front and 14x9 in the rear.I believe a total
of 8 were built with 7 of them being fiberglass copies with a diff paint job,yellow,black,dark blue,light blue(lower).Power was 302 with 4 spd.
A few of the books that I have show a Monroe Handler (fiberglass copy) with
the 77 Cobra grill,reversed hood scoop(1978 Cobra) and 5 lug front rotors
and 5 lug rear axles.Original car(steel)yellow,black,red,pink and blue had 4
lug front and rear with reversed hood scoop and a grill with no marker lights
I noticed the one we are taking about has some of the sponser decals missing up front,no hood scoop,snake missing in grill,blue stripes on lower
wrong shade of blue.Fog lights are correct according to all my photoes,I also noticed the engine bay is white(all Monroe Handlers started out as white base model 77 Cobras with red stripes.Is it possible this car has had some repairs at some time with improvements,eg: 5 lug conversion and paint job?

Project 77 said:
if you want I can e-mail you a picture of what the Handler rollpan looks lke on a coupe, my 77 coupe had one on.
Can you post that pic here for us all to see.
I have been thinking of doing the same thing, but not quite sure of what to do to the front. It might look kinda funny with the rear smooth and a front bumper.

blt4u2c said: