Motortrend's COTY BS

thunderstorm144

Nov 24, 2004
Alabama
A little slow to read this month's MotorTrend. Sorry if this has been hashed out.

Question:

Did anyone else think it was a bit strange for them to pick on the GT for having a V-6 sibling they apparently didn't like too much? The article made it seem like the GT "Coulda beena contenda" but got reamed because the V6 model was underpowered (according to them). Why would they judge the cars in this way? Car of the year would seem to be singular, not plural. Why not judge just the GT, not the Hertz rental V6 (their words "the volume car, the base mustang".)

Maybe I am taking it the wrong way. Maybe. :mad:

• Sponsors (?)

thunderstorm144 said:
A little slow to read this month's MotorTrend. Sorry if this has been hashed out.

Question:

Did anyone else think it was a bit strange for them to pick on the GT for having a V-6 sibling they apparently didn't like too much? The article made it seem like the GT "Coulda beena contenda" but got reamed because the V6 model was underpowered (according to them). Why would they judge the cars in this way? Car of the year would seem to be singular, not plural. Why not judge just the GT, not the Hertz rental V6 (their words "the volume car, the base mustang".)

I didn't see the article yet but I know they have a history of being racist with all the discriminatory language they use. I'm glad when I went to subscribe my check got lost in the mail.

thunderstorm144 said:

Question:

cuz mt sucks mouse testicles

Wow,sore losers.If they don't like MY car,i'll just take my ball and go home,grow up. Maybe the 300C won because it's different and the start of a new american RWD sedan V8 trend,it's very significant. Not counting the ancient Crown Vic and the higher priced Caddies(which are now moving to RWD),this car marks the return of what made american cars great in the first place. Stylish affordable RWD V8 cars that ruled the road with an incredible presence.
The C6 and Mustang are great cars,but more of the same. New styling,more power,neither are breaking new ground.Just refining what's already gone before.
Also,when the hell has Motor Trend used racist language?????????

oliverqueen said:
Wow,sore losers.If they don't like MY car,i'll just take my ball and go home,grow up. Maybe the 300C won because it's different and the start of a new american RWD V8 trend,it's very significant. Not counting the ancient Crown Vic,of course,but this car marks the return of what made american cars great in the first place.
The C6 and Mustang are great cars,but more of the same. New styling,more power,neither are breaking new ground.
Also,when the hell has Motor Trend used racist language?????????

I don't care who won. That means bupkis to me. What bothers me is the way they talked about the V6 and how they brought down the GT because of it. I read the article and it says to me, the GT was a front runner but didn't win because it has a sibling V6, which is underpowered when compared to the accord. That seems like BS to me. Also, I don't think he meant racist, I think he meant prejudiced.

Have to disagree that the 05 Mustang GT is more of the same. The style difference is the only reason I now own one. I have never had one before because I disliked the fox body. Longer car looks much better to me. But that's one man's opinion.

thunderstorm144 said:
I don't care who won. That means bupkis to me. What bothers me is the way they talked about the V6 and how they brought down the GT because of it. I read the article and it says to me, the GT was a front runner but didn't win because it has a sibling V6, which is underpowered when compared to the accord. That seems like BS to me. Also, I don't think he meant racist, I think he meant prejudiced.

Have to disagree that the 05 Mustang GT is more of the same. The style difference is the only reason I now own one. I have never had one before because I disliked the fox body. Longer car looks much better to me. But that's one man's opinion.
Have any of you actually READ the article,it says the GT is awesome but buyers may be disappointed in the V6,WHERE IN THE ENTIRE MAGAZINE did it say that the V6 affected the voting???? hmmmmmm,not in the COTY article,not in the Bang for the Buck article in the same issue,where the writer fell all over himself praising the GT,hmmmmm,where oh where,that's right,it's not in there!! They Praise the GT,but because they didn't like the V6 and they didn't give the mustang the COTY trophy,Motor Trend must have some kind of secret anti-ford agenda :bang: Wow,they sure know how to subvert their agenda with all the ass-kissing of the mustang :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
It's the same all over the internet and the letter pages of these magazines,you quote the road tests when fill-in-the-blank car does well,but when the magazine doesn't like whatever,well,it must be biased,BMW is buying off the writers,they must hate american cars,boo-freakin-hoo,blah,blah,blah,blah.

Have to disagree that the 05 Mustang GT is more of the same. The style difference is the only reason I now own one. I have never had one before because I disliked the fox body.

Agreed, I havent really liked a Mustang the way I like the 05 since 1978. I've never been a big fan of the fox platform cars, not that I haven't been impressed with what you could do with one. It's been more of an aesthetics thing, the shape, proportions, and styling never really grabbed me. I've had plenty of opportunites to buy fox based cars in the past, but I never wanted one that badly. This new car I want very badly.

Oliverqueen does make a good point though, cars like the 300 represent a drastic and welcome change in direction for US built sedans. I've crawled all over the 300 and I love the car, I think DC did a bang up job on it.

oliverqueen said:
Have any of you actually READ the article,it says the GT is awesome but buyers may be disappointed in the V6,WHERE IN THE ENTIRE MAGAZINE did it say that the V6 affected the voting???? hmmmmmm,not in the COTY article,not in the Bang for the Buck article in the same issue,where the writer fell all over himself praising the GT,hmmmmm,where oh where,that's right,it's not in there!! They Praise the GT,but because they didn't like the V6 and they didn't give the mustang the COTY trophy,Motor Trend must have some kind of secret anti-ford agenda :bang: Wow,they sure know how to subvert their agenda with all the ass-kissing of the mustang :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
It's the same all over the internet and the letter pages of these magazines,you quote the road tests when fill-in-the-blank car does well,but when the magazine doesn't like whatever,well,it must be biased,BMW is buying off the writers,they must hate american cars,boo-freakin-hoo,blah,blah,blah,blah.

:stick: :fuss:

You're an idiot. A troll, at that, looking to stir up trouble. DID YOU READ MY POST? You are falling all over yourself to defend MotorTrend and argue that anyone who says anything negative about who got car of the year or the magazine is a whiny bitch. What a tool. You need to learn how to read. Reading the title and the last sentance won't cut it. I simply said it seems a little stupid for MotorTrend to judge a car for the COTY award and take into account that there is a smaller engine sibling. They didn't like the V6. Who gives a rat's ass? I don't. I don't care if they don't like my V8. I don't. But if I have a "contest" for "Car of the Year", I am going to judge the V8 on it's own merit. Not the entire Mustang line. Enter a Cobra for COTY. Enter a GT for COTY. Enter a V6 for COTY. Let them all three compete against each other.

The point, since you couldn't find it if it crawled up your pant leg, is that to deduct "points" from the GT for having a V6 sibling they thought was underpowered seems pretty stupid. I never said they didn't praise the GT. But they sure as hell made it a point to include how crappy they thought the V6 was. :bang: Tool.. :stupid:

Gloveperson said:
I own a 300c. It is simply a better car than the GT and it redefines the entire car market. Over 50% of all 300 bought are V-8's, and when taking rental into acount, the number is even higher.

The Mustang is a great car, but it does nothing to re-define the market like the 300c does. And every other magazine/publication has given the 300c the CATY or some award of some sort, it was MT who simply got more money from DCX.

The 94 GT got CATY if I recall from them which disproves that they hate Ford.

edit: and the 93 Probe in the year b4 that.

The 300c is a nice car. But I would argue that no car in recent history has stirred the emotions of people nor caused as many rubber-necking moves as the new GT.
:nice:

thunderstorm144 said:
:stick: :fuss:

You're an idiot. A troll, at that, looking to stir up trouble. DID YOU READ MY POST? You are falling all over yourself to defend MotorTrend and argue that anyone who says anything negative about who got car of the year or the magazine is a whiny bitch. What a tool. You need to learn how to read. Reading the title and the last sentance won't cut it. I simply said it seems a little stupid for MotorTrend to judge a car for the COTY award and take into account that there is a smaller engine sibling. They didn't like the V6. Who gives a rat's ass? I don't. I don't care if they don't like my V8. I don't. But if I have a "contest" for "Car of the Year", I am going to judge the V8 on it's own merit. Not the entire Mustang line. Enter a Cobra for COTY. Enter a GT for COTY. Enter a V6 for COTY. Let them all three compete against each other.

The point, since you couldn't find it if it crawled up your pant leg, is that to deduct "points" from the GT for having a V6 sibling they thought was underpowered seems pretty stupid. I never said they didn't praise the GT. But they sure as hell made it a point to include how crappy they thought the V6 was. :bang: Tool.. :stupid:
You can't even answer my question,once again.....WHERE IN THE MAGAZINE DID IT SAY THAT THE V6 AFFECTED THE VOTING??????????? Do you work for Motor Trend? Do you know how their voting works??? Enlighten me,because it's sure as hell is not in the magazine? Also,It's the Ford Mustang that's up for the award,not the Mustang GT,it's the 911,not just the 911S,The 300 won,not just the 300C. How stupid is that to divide up the cars like that and just pick and choose what you want represented! Are you one of these moron mustang owners who thinks that the only "real" mustang is a V8????
Please,i'm begging you,answer my question......WHERE IN THE MAGAZINE DID IT SAY THAT THE V6 AFFECTED THE VOTING?? You can't tell me,because it's not in there :rlaugh: