Motortrend's COTY BS

oliverqueen said:
You can't even answer my question,once again.....WHERE IN THE MAGAZINE DID IT SAY THAT THE V6 AFFECTED THE VOTING??????????? Do you work for Motor Trend? Do you know how their voting works??? Enlighten me,because it's sure as hell is not in the magazine? Also,It's the Ford Mustang that's up for the award,not the Mustang GT,it's the 911,not just the 911S,The 300 won,not just the 300C. How stupid is that to divide up the cars like that and just pick and choose what you want represented! Are you one of these moron mustang owners who thinks that the only "real" mustang is a V8????
Please,i'm begging you,answer my question......WHERE IN THE MAGAZINE DID IT SAY THAT THE V6 AFFECTED THE VOTING?? You can't tell me,because it's not in there :rlaugh:

I think it is quite reasonable to assume that if they include the V6 model in the article box about the Mustang (bashing it's HP as worse than the Accord), they are using the V6 in the testing criteria as well as the GT. If they were only putting up the GT against the test criteria, what point is there in mentioning the V6 model? It's called logic. Try it.

This is not apples to apples comparison. A great V8 and a great V6 model vs. a V6 model only. If the GT was destined to win (just a hypothetical) but the V6 was underpowered and they gave the award to some other car that only came in a V6, would you think that fair? I don't. Seeing the bias is not hard. Read the first two sentances:

"Whether Ford will ever be able to build a modern, affordable GT is debatable."

(Huh? WTF? Didn't they just do that with this car, as SO many other car reviews say?)

"In the meantime...(meaning..we don't think they have, so we'll wait and deal with this '05 car for now)....the first all new Mustang in 26 years is here, and, though decades overdue....(nice little swipe at Ford).....it's worth the wait.

Hmmm.... MotorTrend loves Ford; that's easy to see.

:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I own a 300c. It is simply a better car than the GT and it redefines the entire car market.

I agree, the 300 is a real nice car, but you also paid a lot more for it than someone will pay for a GT, so how can you say it's a better car, they're not in the same class. If we're talking about high performance sedans, it could be argued that the BMW M5 is a better car than your 300C, no? Most people wouldn't make that comparison though, since there's about a 20K difference in price. Most people would say they're in different classes due to that fact alone, even though they are both high performance sedans. The Mustang vs the 300C is even more of a disparity, there's a price diffence and they're not even the same type of car.

I know that most of these COTY comparos are trying to gauge what car had the biggest impact on the broadest range of people, regardless of the class, price, or whatever, but sometimes they seem like a waste of time. If the mustang had won would you be driving around bragging to people that you were driving the MT car of the year? It's kind of a meaningless award.

Couple things. You're from Hillsborough NJ? So am I. Small world aint it?

Hell yes! How many people on this site from all over the world? To run into one person from the same town, wild.

It comes with the same level of equipment as a 5 Series for sub-3 series prices. For the record, I paid 34,455 +500 for an extra (blue tooth phone).

And it has the performance of the 545 BMW..all for 34,455.

Agreed, I see your point and you obviously see mine. Comparing your 300 to the Bimmer is a much better comparison, at least it's close to being apples to apples (I think your right, the 545 is a better example than the M5, which is sort of an exotic). As I said before, I think the 300C is a fantastic car (love it with the chrome wire mesh Bentley style grill :nice: ) and I think the 05 Mustang is an equally fantastic car, for a whole different set of reasons. For many people the biggest of those reasons would be that they can climb into a Stang for about 8 grand cheaper than the 300. The attraction of the mustang to the majority of people, all through it's 40 years, has been that for a relatively small outlay of money you can get a briskly performing V8 powered sports coupe and have a boatload of fun.

Gloveperson said:
I own a 300c. It is simply a better car than the GT and it redefines the entire car market. Over 50% of all 300 bought are V-8's, and when taking rental into acount, the number is even higher.

The Mustang is a great car, but it does nothing to re-define the market like the 300c does. And every other magazine/publication has given the 300c the CATY or some award of some sort, it was MT who simply got more money from DCX.

The 94 GT got CATY if I recall from them which disproves that they hate Ford.

edit: and the 93 Probe in the year b4 that.

how does it redefine the market again?

wow thats stupid....you realize not everyone that drives a bimmer is a snob right? go to bimmerforums.com and tell them that they dont drive their 6spd 545s around tracks and theyl give you pics of them going around the nurburgring! this reminds me of some brit show i watched the other day, it was complete bs(stupid SPEED) anyways they did the worst comparo ive ever EVER seen. GTO vs Jag S-type R i think vs 300c. not only was this a mismatch of classes but they did all the testing on a beach! in the damn sand! its funny you mention a waiting list for the 300c. we have like 20 that are always sitting infront of my chrystler dealer.the 300c was a cool car for awhile,but now that i think about it. its just an overweight,cheap material,high door sill,wanna be bentley for 1/8 the price. :owned: :spot: :banana: :lock:

Well this thread just further shows how dumb magazines can be especially motortrend. I'm not saying the 300c isn't a good car but i remember reading about an article motortrend wrote when the acura nsx first came out. They said it was the nicest and best sports car ever built. :rlaugh: The nsx is a nice car but definately not the best and is fairly overproced for what it is.

I think the original point here was that they put the Mustang down for having a underpowered V6 when the 300 has a much more underpowered V6 (2.5) which they didn't put the car down for.

And where are all these trolls coming from and why aren't they banned for trolling??

Gloveperson said:
Well, I don't think I have to explain why Motor Trend specically talked about Ford's V6, since I just read it and they explained right in the article.

But, I think you should rethink calling me a troll:)

You have no idea how many Mustangs my family and I have owned over the years. :nice:

I never said you were a troll, I was refering to the rash of them here lately, I don't know why you'd think I was talking about you, I think it's clear who they are.

As far as MT goes, I read the article too, did I miss the part where the knocked the 300 for having two V6's?

http://autos.msn.com/research/compa...i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=1&v=t98820&v=t99401

I dunno both cars look pretty comparable in many aspects. The 300C has a few more bells and whistles that account for the 7grand more in price, some of which although optional on a 300C can be aftermarketed on the Mustang (GPS for instance).

I think the mustang looks nicer however and it's also a little faster (which was a bigger selling point for me than having passenger-side climate control).

The 300C I expect to see old-man Jeeves behind the wheel.

Unless people are recieving awards in the mail for owning MT's COTY, what the hell does it matter who wins. I subscribe to MT and I don't take anything they write to seriously, I just like looking at cars, track times and auto news while I am on the crapper. :shrug:

"I think the original point here was that they put the Mustang down for having a underpowered V6 when the 300 has a much more underpowered V6 (2.5) which they didn't put the car down for."

Well, the Mustang is a performance car and the 300 is a near luxury car, or a family car, depending on how it's optioned. Of course given the type of car the Mustang is, more importance is placed on the engine.

"how does it redefine the market again?"

It doesn't exactly redefine the market by itself, but it's one of the first cars in the trend of large, comfortable powerful four seater American cars. The GTO and Dodge Magnum are other examples of cars like this. Basically, if you look at Chrysler and GM, they are trying to bring back that old type of American Car that people love. (Though other than the GTO, GM is really going to introduce most of their new designs in 2007.) Before large American cars like the 300C and GTO came back in fashion, the only way consumers were able to get RWD V8 cars that carry four people comfortably was to spend a lot of money on luxury cars.

That's what some people here can't understand. Some people really like the appeal of cruising around in a powerful four seater car, and having everyone in the car think, "Gee, this is pretty nice" inside. That's a type of appeal that the Mustang can't provide. For this luxury aspect, the 300M is tops, the Mustang is at the bottom and the GTO is inbetween. For cheap performance, the Mustang is the best, the GTO is middle, and the 300M is last.

But how big is the performance market and how big is the near luxury market?The 300C is a redefining car positioned to appeal to the largest group of people. The Mustang is a redefining Pony car but not that many people are shopping for pony cars.

Plus you've gotta remember that it's all opinion. I personally think the 300C is a fair choice. I would almost say the 2005 GTO should have won, but with that small trunk it loses a lot in practicality. Some other people may think the Subaru Legacy GT is car of the year. It presents 85% of the performance of the STI or Evo for 85% of the cost and far better ride, build quality, etc.

You guys might think the 2005 Mustang is a great car, and it is, but that is only because we are living in a time of automotive renaissance. With increased technology, a bunch of car companies are offering really great products for cheap. You guys are Mustang fanatics so i guess you have a tendency to focus on the improvements in this car... That is fine for you but the simple fact is cars are just getting that much better in general... This is a trend in the industry; It is not just apparent when you look at the improvements Ford made with the Mustang... (Which arguably isn't even the greatest cheap performance car Ford Motor Co. makes... I think 50% of this market would prefer the RX-8.)

Regardless of your personal preference, I don't see how you could say the 300C was a bad choice...