Mpg in a daily?

tx2000gt

May 27, 2005
I've always wanted a 5.0 Mustang, and now that I am going off to college I need a car that's dependable and gets decent gas mileage. I'd be keeping it stock for the most part, just a full exhaust and a CAI until I got out of school and on my feet financially.

As for my question, what kind of gas mileage would I be looking at as long as I don't speed and mash on the pedal?

• Sponsors (?)

I had a full weight 89 GT hatch, all stock except for a Flowmaster catback, Automatic, that got an avg of 20mpg... letting it shift anywhere from 3k to 5k

On the other hand, I have a stripped 93 coupe, 2.3, 5 speed, that get's 22MPG, and I really do drive it like I stole it.... 6krpm shifts everytime I have to shift a gear.

every one of my 5.0's, from my 84 GT 4bbl to my 92 LX 5.0 ranged between 16 and 20 around here, which is mostly windy 2-lane double-yellow rural county roads. My driving style varies depending on how i feel. Best I saw on the highway was 24.5 in my 91 LX with 3 guys in the car on a 3 hour trip.

i intended on daily driving my GT once its finished, but 2.89 gas (and here in NJ we are about the cheapest in the country) and 17-18mpg multiplied by about 500 miles a week and not nearly enough income sent me into a 1999 ZX2, which got 31mpg last tank. 300.9 miles on 9.7 gallons :D now thats what im talkin about!!

mine averaged 17-18mpg when i first got it (AOD with a 3.27 stock gear), about 12 with the 4.10's (broken od) and its back up to 16 with the t5.

my old t5 lx got about 18mpg, never did figure out what gears it had though.

Well I wouldn't be driving too terribly much as everything at Texas A&M is accessible on foot or on bike, but I'd be driving mostly highway miles if I was coming back from school. Does the 4.6 get better mileage than a 5.0?

I've seen 27mpg in mine on the highway, below 60mph... In town I don't do so well, lately it's been more like 15-18mpg... compared to my daily which gets 30-40mpg... But the stang has 3x more engine and 1000x more fun factor :)

youll see about 14-20, all this 26-30 crap aint gonna happen, maybe if you shut the car off going down hill or something, I get about 17-18 in my 90 5.0 vert, I get 17-18 in my h/c/i 86gt and 30 in my 93 2.3 notch. Dont get your hopes up, you WILL get 16-20, because you know youll have your foot in it a little bit, and that urge to speed aint gonna go away anytime soon.

youll see about 14-20, all this 26-30 crap aint gonna happen, maybe if you shut the car off going down hill or something, I get about 17-18 in my 90 5.0 vert, I get 17-18 in my h/c/i 86gt and 30 in my 93 2.3 notch. Dont get your hopes up, you WILL get 16-20, because you know youll have your foot in it a little bit, and that urge to speed aint gonna go away anytime soon.

Fend for yourself, what would I have to lie about getting 27 mpg I drive alittle over 100 miles a day and it gets better gas mileage than my s10? My old coupe got a best of 28 mpg and that was mostly highway as well....what about the ls1? Close friend of mine gets 29-30 on road trips in his 02 camaro and my "daddy" has seen a best of 31 in his vette as well...it's all about driving style and I drive like a grandpa for the most part.

yeah I got 27 also, but My car weighs around 2800lbs and at 60mph my rpm is at 1500~1600... This was highway going a little below the limit, tires inflated to 35psi...

5.0s do good on the highway, they are aerodynamic enough and get over 20 on the highway. around town ive gotten a best of 18, usually around 15, down to 13 if its a fun tank. 4 banger mustangs get worse mileage in most cases.

My SD car gets 17-18 around town with a little grandma driving and a little beating the crap out of it. I know I could easily squeak 20 out of it around town if I didn't beat on it all the time. I don't drive on the highway enough to say what it gets there.