Muscle Car Poll

• Sponsors (?)

Vettes, Shelby Cobras and Mustangs aren't muscle cars. I'm kind of on the fence over whether a 'Cuda should be considered a muscle car. Muscle cars are midsize cars with big blocks, marketed as performance-oriented vehicles, like the GTO or Road Runner.

66Satellite said:
Vettes, Shelby Cobras and Mustangs aren't muscle cars. I'm kind of on the fence over whether a 'Cuda should be considered a muscle car. Muscle cars are midsize cars with big blocks, marketed as performance-oriented vehicles, like the GTO or Road Runner.

so what would u classify a vette, shelby cobra, and a mustang as? sport sadan? sport coupe? I'd say they fall under the muscle car section...

johnt785 said:
66Satellite your an idoit. Their all American Muscle cars. Pony car? What the hell are you talking about. Sit down and shut up.

Well, first of all it's "you're" not "your" and "they're" not "their."

Here's some reading for you.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/general/musclecars-definition.shtml

The thing is people tend to get upset when you say their car isn't a muscle car. They shouldn't. It's just a term, but it does apply to a specific type of vehicle. Some people claim the first "muscle car" was a 1964 GTO. Others would claim it was the 1955 Chrysler 300. Pony car is based on a smaller platform, has a small back seat, long hood, etc. So yes, in theory a Camaro is a pony car. The poll should be for most desirable mid-60s to early 70s American cars or something like that--that's the period of car that seems to be hottest with collectors at the moment (baby boomers with $$$). Gauging by selling price, the most desirable mid-60s to early 70s American car would be a 71 Hemi 'Cuda vert. I think they made 12 of them, and at least one has sold for one million dollars. A 'Cuda is probably a "pony car," but I'm not sure how many "pony cars" could fit 440s and 426s so easily between their fenders.

That definition is too narrow. In my experience, a muscle car is basically any car with a high performance engine in it. That's the "muscle" part. Typically GTOs, Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, 'Cudas, etc. are all muscle cars as long as they have a strong V8 in them. A GTO or Mustang with a small engine is NOT a muscle car.

Pred8tor said:
That definition is too narrow. In my experience, a muscle car is basically any car with a high performance engine in it. That's the "muscle" part. Typically GTOs, Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, 'Cudas, etc. are all muscle cars as long as they have a strong V8 in them. A GTO or Mustang with a small engine is NOT a muscle car.

That's like saying the definition of French cars is too narrow, and that all poor-quality European cars should be considered French.

I don't know much about GTOs, but do any of them have small blocks?

Actually, the 389 and 400 have always been tossed back and forth depending on who you ask, where they really don't fit the big block OR the small block genre. Call them "mid-blocks", and throw the 351 Cleveland in there while you're at it, LOL!!! I think this is one of those situations where a definition DOES exist, but the public at-large has adopted a much wider perception of what a "Muscle Car" is, hence trumping the definition by public domain. Kinda like how "marriage" is starting to encompass a whole lot more today than it historically has?? ;)
Buick gsx (why put the base Gran Sport over the GSX?)
Why?? Because the GSX was just a stripe and spoiler package that you could order on a Stage 1 GS. There was nothing mechanically superior about it compared to a Stage 1 GS, and you could probably get a better top speed without all the spoilers!
66Satellite your an idoit.
Wow..... the irony here is classic, just classic. My favorites are the racial epithets written on bathroom walls, where the actual SLURS themselves are mis-spelled!! I've almost peed on myself standing at the john from laughing at the scrawlings of illiterate KKK graffiti artists!!

RICKS said:
Actually, the 389 and 400 have always been tossed back and forth depending on who you ask, where they really don't fit the big block OR the small block genre. Call them "mid-blocks", and throw the 351 Cleveland in there while you're at it, LOL!!! I think this is one of those situations where a definition DOES exist, but the public at-large has adopted a much wider perception of what a "Muscle Car" is, hence trumping the definition by public domain.

For Mopars a 360 is the biggest small block and a 361 is the smallest big block. The 361 shares the same K frame with the 383 and 440, and the 360 shares the same k frame with the 318 and 273.

Mustang and Camaros are popular and hold their value simply because they're Mustangs and Camaros. A 65 Mustang with a six banger is not worth significantly less than the Mustang with the 289 (unless you're maybe talking about rare and/or highly optioned cars). But the cars on which "muscle cars" are based are often worth half the money or less, even if they are nearly identical in every way. For example, if you wanted to save on insurance in 1969 you could order a Satellite or Belvedere with the same 383 4v drivetrain as a Road Runner. Same options, same body style and everything. You could call it a "muscle car" as much as you wanted, but if you were to compare the value of the two cars today the Road Runner would be worth significantly more, because it's a "muscle car"--ie it was a midsize sedan built and marketed by the factory as a performance car.