Mustang GT Convertible

damills

Sep 3, 2004
Morristown
Can anyone comment on the convertible top on the 2007 Mustang GT Convertible, how many layers of material, is the car loud with the top up?

Thanks, I can never seem to make it by the dealership when they have a GT convertible on the lot, small town, thought I would ask for opinions here.

• Sponsors (?)

I have an 05 gt vert. I am not sure about how many layers but I live in Canada and we have some pretty cold days but the stang is still warm inside so I woiuld imagine it is well insulated. As for noise, it is not bad at all!! Go with the vert, I love it!

I've got an 07 vert with the upgraded (fabric) top. The material on this top is similar (if not identical) to the cloth fabric seen on many Chrysler Sebrings. I've had two previous Mustang convertibles (a 95 & 96) with the standard vinyl top as well. Using that as a point for comparrison, I would highly recommend going with the upgraded top if you're going to purchase an 07. It is much quieter with the top up than the other two cars were in terms of wind noise. It also just looks better. I think it was a $100 option.

My wife and I bought our 06 GT vert in March and live in Michigan. She wanted the coupe and I wanted the vert. We test drove some V6 stangs prior to deciding and didn't notice any difference between the coupe and vert (top up) for noise of any kind. I've had a 67 and 95 Mustang verts before this one. The 67 was pretty bad for noise (just as one would expect), but I always felt the 95 was pretty quiet (for a vert). Once we drove the 06 vert I was thoroughly impressed with the quietness of it. Ours is the vinyl as Ford didn't do cloth in 06 so I can't speak to that.

We really love our vert - I've added a few extras including the light bar. It's GREAT:nice:

'Vert

I have an '06 GT 'Vert and I LOVE it. I have had convertibles all my life (my first one was a 1959 Chevy) and the '06 is light years ahead of any I've had before. It is cozy and warm in the winter and very quiet with the top up, and to date (21K miles) not one leak. I think the new tops are 3 layers. If I were getting a new '07 'vert, I'd get the new cloth top in a heartbeat.
Man, there is NOTHING like driving a Mustang GT convertible with the top down--NOTHING. I really love to listen to my CORSA's topless! My license frame even says, "I'd Rather Be Topless". :nice: :nice: :nice:

I think that one of the nicest features of the latest version of the Stang convertibles is the manner in which the forward section of the top folds over when the top is completely down. I like the fact that the exterior section of the top is exposed instead of the inside of the headliner, like with most convertibles.

Ragtop

I think that one of the nicest features of the latest version of the Stang convertibles is the manner in which the forward section of the top folds over when the top is completely down. I like the fact that the exterior section of the top is exposed instead of the inside of the headliner, like with most convertibles.

+1, I got the boot cover with my 'vert, but have never even unwrapped it. When the top folds down, it looks so good I haven't felt it necessary.

You will love the Vert

Same here on the boot cover. Damn thing is still in the plastic.

I have had my boot on about 4 times. It is a pain in the a$$ to install/remove. That surprised me, I thought the design would make it easy. I have to lift the top a little to get the hooks under it, then put the top down the rest of the way. I know some day I'll push the wrong side of the switch and screw it all up. Also, the boot cover is black, not matching my parchment top and interior, so it looks a little aftermarket. I also wish the boot was leather.

I have owned a few verts, and this top is the best quality I have seen.

That said, my car did have some problems with the lift system and Ford did work with me and a different dealer, which eventually resulted in a new top after some repair snafoos and many days of the car at the shop. Ford was most helpful, and the dealer they eventually sent me to was outstanding. They are now my dealer of choice, they will sell me some Fords in the future. :D

I wish i were on my toes and requested to pay the difference and get the new top material, just to make the car stand out, but when Ford decided to replace it, the dealer ordered everything and had the swap in the works before giving me the good news.

ford had some issues with the first verts, i have seen about 5 verts in the last 6 months come into my shop (not a dealership) for top replacement warranty claims. the dealers sublet them to us, because we do a better job than they can. they have also tried to install seat upholstry, but could not figure out why it would not fit properly without the hog rings they forgot to install. :rlaugh:

I have had my boot on about 4 times. It is a pain in the a$$ to install/remove. That surprised me, I thought the design would make it easy. I have to lift the top a little to get the hooks under it, then put the top down the rest of the way. I know some day I'll push the wrong side of the switch and screw it all up. Also, the boot cover is black, not matching my parchment top and interior, so it looks a little aftermarket. I also wish the boot was leather.

I have owned a few verts, and this top is the best quality I have seen.

That said, my car did have some problems with the lift system and Ford did work with me and a different dealer, which eventually resulted in a new top after some repair snafoos and many days of the car at the shop. Ford was most helpful, and the dealer they eventually sent me to was outstanding. They are now my dealer of choice, they will sell me some Fords in the future. :D

I wish i were on my toes and requested to pay the difference and get the new top material, just to make the car stand out, but when Ford decided to replace it, the dealer ordered everything and had the swap in the works before giving me the good news.

At least they hooked you up. I had a similar experience with my selling dealers body shop. I went in and spoke to the service advisor about a problem that I had noticed with the passenger's bucked seat. She shuffled me off to the body shop. The manager couldn't have been nicer. He worked through the Ford maze to get them to authorize replacement of the leather cover on the bottom cushion & when the repair didn't turn out to HIS satisfaction, he convinced the dealership to allow him to swap a complete seat out of a new car. It took three visits but I finally left the dealership with a brand new passenger's side bucket seat. The downside is that a few weeks after this happened I was going through my desk and ran across this guys business card. I figured I owed him a call just to thank him again for all of his efforts in taking care of my car. I called and was told by the body shop receptionist "he no longer works here." She put the number 2 guy in the body shop on the phone, who I had also met over the seat issue. He told me that there was a disagreement with mangement on how he was running the body shop, that it "got heated" and that he quit. So the only guy in the whole dealership who treated me fairly no longer works there.:bang:

Vert

Have a 07 Conv GT black/black. The cloth top is awesome. Leave the boot at the factory ( or i'll sell ya mine ). My third mustang convertible and best one as far as noise. Windows also automatically go down when you push the convertible button and brake no longer has to be on! Cloth top looks "richer". Get rid of the cats first though!

Sam