Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the numbers look right Mike. There is a bit of loss with volume between the bore and above the ring only a few calculators consider this and it's only worth a couple of 100's which is only critical when calculating a spec motor. I use this one online:
Link

Cool. Virtually the same number.

For some reason I had in my head the CR would be higher with this combo. Guess not. I guess I can add a blower later on for a few psi of boost to see if I can bump my numbers to around 400-425 crank. Would be nice...but not needed. Lets build the current setup first and see how I like it.

• Sponsors (?)

Been putting some miles on the car just to enjoy it before I tear into the engine this fall. Drove it last night to pick up dinner.

It's hot! Left it out in the sun for 10 mins.

IMG_5467.JPG

Anyway, took a good shot showing the final ride height while waiting for my food. Think I nailed the stance. Rides relatively well considering.

IMG_5511.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Been a while. Just been driving the car. Trying to take it weekly to work up until I start tearing into it.

Got promoted at work, so not much time for anything else right now. I now manage a team of 6 engineers and two interns. Busy is an understAtement.

Still proceeding with engine pull shortly. No change in plan or scope. I consider this project to be the last for the car. I had fun the last two months just driving the car, so we are gonna build a nice reliable engine combo and call it a build.

FFR cobra kit car is still planned 2-3 years out.

Tried to find a used hoist but all were too far or gone before I could get there. Getting close! Trying not to wait too long because before you know it it will be 20 degrees out and snowing. I’d like to pull the motor and pressure wash everything while still 50s and 60s at least.

Harbor freight 25% coupon came in handy

E9E7F8C6-1C85-4042-8F6C-18E460F2E4DF.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
Well, my season is officially done. Swapped out the Recaro to a spare seat that I don’t mind sitting in while dirty to prep for my big job.

1D160443-29B5-4BA1-A69C-4D2478F06C2A.jpeg

Needed a safe place to store the Recaro...so might as well use the hatchbsck

61D69C26-A70D-4ED7-B69C-D012F89C91DC.jpeg

Hoods coming off tomorrow. Then I’ll work on bumper and fenders. Also need to swap to my ‘97 cobra roller wheels

Reactions: 3 users
Sweet mower. You may save time by upgrading to a wider cut though.

I know you like your cobra wheels, but I think they are holding your car back from true glory. A nice set of custom wheels will set your car off. Especially considering the nice interior, paint and soon to be sweet sounding engine.

Yeah, the wheels have gotten old to me. I’m ready to move on. I have something like these in mind

Cosmis XT-005R

18x9 and 18x10. I’ll have to change my axles out back to Fox lenght. So this won’t be cheap...but it will be the final touch

F4D26283-EBB1-488A-94BD-5DBF1A03AD5A.jpeg
C5220AA3-5D65-4E7A-BD7F-30B7083DCC58.jpeg
5995AA50-312F-4A33-B0DA-6B3D37CBF8FD.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Well this was a PITA.

9810C85D-8111-468C-BA9C-BAC10762E428.jpeg

I had all the bolts out in 10 mins....except one. Of course, the top header bolt spins. Took me an hour to get it out. Ended up cutting it. I’ll deal with that when it goes back on

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
But, got it all stripped down. No real surprises....just years of dust and grime.

FFB45AB3-B8AA-471C-95AA-D1A4F3FDB11C.jpeg

Next up is to just start pulling stuff off, labeling it, bagging, draining fluids, and getting the exhaust and trans out.

Reactions: 5 users
Why did you pull the front end off?

There's more to this project that just the H/C/I. In general my whole front end needs a good cleaning. 31 years of oil leaks and road grim is pretty much all over everything underneath. I've cleaned it pretty well from the firewall back, but need to take care of it up front.

Plus there are some small things I want to clean up like doing a partial wire tuck, relocate my starter solenoid inside the fender, reroute my Air pump hoses inside the fender, and my radiator core support has some rust I'd like to wirewheel up and get a nice coat of paint all over everything.

I also need to replace both door springs and the fenders need to come off to do that. Seemed like a good time.

Also remember that MM K-member brace didn't line up with my k-member? MM confirmed the dimensions are correct so it's likely my k-member is bent. I need to get a good look at everything once the engine is out to see if I have any bent subframe issues. So far doesn't appear so.

Also, it does make it easier to get close to the car without leaning over too far. My back will thank me.

Last edited:
Would you do me a favor Mike? Could you take a good picture of each side showing all the factory under fender items? Hi res so I can zoom up if need be. I've been watching for a good picture of a car that hasn't been messed with. Thanks.

You mean like this?

All I have is my iPhone so it’s as hires as I can go

37FD51F3-1178-4E2F-840B-B3AE6CB15499.jpeg

FAD36F09-1C63-46C0-940D-8726FA79369F.jpeg

Excuse my partial POR-15 job. This is part of what I plan on correcting with fenders off

Wonder if I can use these for the header panel screw I had to cut off. Looks to be the same hardware

I'd have to epoxy the end nto the header.
I think something like that would work Mike. I used something like that for one of my taillamps. Glued the coarse end in and it’s held up fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.