Mustangs at the Queen Mary

Blue Oval Teen

Aug 16, 2006
The Mustangs at the Queen Mary show - with all the classic Mustangs - is dead.

QUEEN OF THE STONE AGE
11th Annual Mustangs At The Queen Mary

By Brian Kennedy

The Mustang hobby as we knew it is dead. At least, that’s what it appeared at the 11th Annual Mustangs at the Queen Mary show sponsored by the Beach Cities Mustang Club on September 23rd.

Perhaps you remember when Mustang shows were collections of 1960s cars, each configured just as it had come out of the showroom years before. No modifications, no modern cars. Perhaps you liked it that way. Well, here’s news: those days are gone in favor of fields which feature many more Mustangs from this Millennium than the prior one. Depending on your perspective, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Why the change? Not that long ago, you could still buy a reasonable condition used Mustang on the open market for a few thousand bucks, put some repop parts on it to bring it back to new, have it painted, and be done without taking out a second mortgage. Those days, despite an ill-researched story in Mustang Monthly a few issues ago, are gone. (Am I alone here? That piece said something like, ‘Perhaps you want an early Mustang coupe that an old man owned and the family is selling for $3500?’ as if to imply that those were out there for the taking. That, my friends, is a load of crap.)

Trust me. I look at every car that comes available on the LA market, in ads or in person, in search of my perfect ride. And everything I’ve seen in the past two years has either been over 10 grand, or junk. Not unrestorable, but so far gone to need complete redoing, the kind of work that puts the sucker who writes the checks for it way in the hole.

These days, you’re gonna have $15K in a restored 1966 289 coupe, at least, and maybe twice that depending on what you start with. And that’s if you can find something that’s worth bothering with to begin with, which is something of a rarity. I’ve found just two decent cars over the past two years. I bought the second one, sure that I’d look for another year before it happened again.

So maybe it’s not that surprising that at a premier Mustang show like the QM event, the population of cars has shifted radically over the past few years so that now, by at least a couple of estimates, the show is biased about 70 percent in favor of modern-era cars. (We didn’t get an exact count, since the show organizers were too busy to chat mid-day.)

So what you saw, if you perused the show field, were lots of 2005-07 GTs, specialized models like the Roush and Cobra but also normal production models, many kitted out with modifications from superchargers to fancy taillight surrounds.

If you’re into the vintage Mustangs, the ones that started the hysteria, this is kind of depressing. You go to these sorts of shows to see the cars of your youth, your dreams, the era when gas was cheap and safety features confined to lap belts and padded dashes.

Full article: http://lacar.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=875

• Sponsors (?)

I never really understood buying a new car then taking it to a car show. I once took my 96 Cobra to a show and parked it next to 4 nearly identical cars. Somehow, one of those other cars was "nicer" than mine and won first place. Hmmmm, they are identical, and mine had 1/4 the mileage of all the other cars put together. Not that I am in it for prizes, but I don't understand showing new cars anyway. I go to the shows and only look at the classics. If I wanted to see new cars, I can go to the dealership. See you at Knotts (in the classic section).

Very true about "showing" new cars ... what's the point? Go to the dealer showroom.

I entered a show last year that had a single Mustang class. The top 3 places were all taken by new Mustangs, and there were some beautiful classics on that show. The judging criteria was all about cleanliness and overall condition...no surprise that the new cars won.

They have since changed that show so that all post '73 cars are disallowed. I think they got a lot of complaints.

Its not just Mustangs, look at the Camarros, Chargers, GTO's. They are all impossible to find and the prices are outrageous, also you are beginning to see more and more of the new ones at the shows.

the problem is that our cars are victims of their own popularity and the fact that China is paying top dollar for all of the worlds available recycled steel, and auctions like barret-jackson don't help much either. hell, i'm even going to be asking $22,000 for my GT coupe.

The "grass-roots" is dying out of Classic Muscle; and mostly because of the high price of rare (sometimes even rare repop) replacement parts.
BTW; Mustangers are in fact pretty lucky in this respect; other models have an even smaller and more expensive "parts chain". Bryan, if you do get $22k for the 69 GT; do you think that will be enough to "finish" the Cat? :eek:

Hey, another OBTW; I saw a '72 Standard (pretty sure of that, didn't see any "XR-7" badges) that had been totaled the other day. Looked like an Abrams tank had driven over it, from firewall to front bumper (it actually was a 5-ton flatbed delivery truck from a lumberyard); but the back was untouched :nice:

I'm thinking the insurance company (if the owners had comp/collision) is going to total it; so now it's time to find the correct junkyard and check out how solid the left-rear quarter is........ :banana:

I agree, its really sad, especially when some guys here put in so much time, effort and money and do a 80% restoration and have to expect getting the same amount or less than a rust bucket.

However, you do find some nice buys, but they are rare.

The "grass-roots" is dying out of Classic Muscle; and mostly because of the high price of rare (sometimes even rare repop) replacement parts.
BTW; Mustangers are in fact pretty lucky in this respect; other models have an even smaller and more expensive "parts chain". Bryan, if you do get $22k for the 69 GT; do you think that will be enough to "finish" the Cat? :eek:

Hey, another OBTW; I saw a '72 Standard (pretty sure of that, didn't see any "XR-7" badges) that had been totaled the other day. Looked like an Abrams tank had driven over it, from firewall to front bumper (it actually was a 5-ton flatbed delivery truck from a lumberyard); but the back was untouched :nice:

I'm thinking the insurance company (if the owners had comp/collision) is going to total it; so now it's time to find the correct junkyard and check out how solid the left-rear quarter is........ :banana:

will it be enough to "finish" the coug? probably not but it should be enough to make it a really nice driver, but really only half of that money is going to to the coug, the other half is going to go towards a down payment on a house for the family, which is the main reason for selling the stang the cougar is just to "replace" the stang really and to i'll make it into what i really wanted to make the stang. i have a bunch of really cool "left over" goodies that i'll be using on the cougar as well, power trunk release, 68 mustang overhead console, 86 gt bucket seats, cruise control setup, tilt column, intermittent wiper conversion, TCP rack, subframe connectors, power window kit, rear defogger, etc.

I have mixed emotions regarding this. On one hand I don't like seeing new cars in a car show, but on the other the new owners are keeping the hobby alive. In my local car club, which covers the greater Sacramento area, more than 60% own newer Mustangs. And of the classics there are only two Mach 1 owners and the second guy just joined. No Boss Mustangs and only a couple of fastbacks. It seems the people who own the rarer and/or more collectable Mustangs don't want to take them out much anymore, thanks to Barrett-Jackson.
So while I badmouth Barrett-Jackson now, if I ever do sell my Mach 1 I'll be praising them and all they've done for the hobby. Sure is a double-edged sword.

some cars are definitely worth the money they're getting others are not, though. i walys knew my 69 GT would be worth a decent amount of money but i've been seeing plain jane 65-70 coupes and fastbacks bringing twice, or more, what they should really be worth.

Two words Barrett-Jackson, i believe it's killed the hobby for the average joe trying to start out w/ something not a complete rust bucket..I'm only lucky as i bought mine back in 1989..On my income if i had to buy the same car today, forget it....

some cars are definitely worth the money they're getting others are not, though. i walys knew my 69 GT would be worth a decent amount of money but i've been seeing plain jane 65-70 coupes and fastbacks bringing twice, or more, what they should really be worth.

I see your point with coupes, but some 65-70 fastbacks are less common than GT coupes. There were more '66 GT coupes made than plain jane '66 fastbacks. This one might fall under supply and demand (one of the many reasons I bought my '66 fastback).

I've found a couple of coupes which are "reasonable" and need some minor rebuilding, but the ones that kill me are the ones which need major work, are plain jane coupes and the owners are trying to squeeze $8000+ out of something that needs a complete tear down and rebuild.
I started looking for a car for when my daughter turns 16, and I might have to resort to a used Saturn or import which sucks, because she really likes the mustangs.

I see your point with coupes, but some 65-70 fastbacks are less common than GT coupes. There were more '66 GT coupes made than plain jane '66 fastbacks. This one might fall under supply and demand (one of the many reasons I bought my '66 fastback).

while there were more 66 GT coupes than plain fastbacks there were far fewer 69 GT coupes than just about any other bodystyle and trim package (IE; Shelby, Mach 1, Grande, Boss 302, etc.) there were only around 1500 GT coupes made in 69, with a few less GT verts and more GT fastbacks than coupes and verts combined, almost twice as many in fact.

I've found a couple of coupes which are "reasonable" and need some minor rebuilding, but the ones that kill me are the ones which need major work, are plain jane coupes and the owners are trying to squeeze $8000+ out of something that needs a complete tear down and rebuild.
I started looking for a car for when my daughter turns 16, and I might have to resort to a used Saturn or import which sucks, because she really likes the mustangs.

you can still find some pretty nice 65-70 coupes that need little work for under $8000. they come up here from time to time, mostly older restorations that just need a little TLC.

i was lluck enough to have a mustang specialty shop in our area. it helps that he's been around for so long that its no crap, he sells you the car for what its worth. i was luck enough to get the body for 7K (no dings, rust or bondo/metal work) , but thats even alot compared to what they were 10 yrs. ago.....