My 07 changes....so far.

351wcoupe

Feb 13, 2003
Manhattan, Kansas
I made two passes this year with the original "Bolt-on set-up". I ran a 7.46 w/ a 70 shot and a 7.36 w/ a 100shot. Both times the clutch was slipping really bad.

I pulled it apart and waited over a month on the backordered clutchnet parts. The amount of downtime started pushing me dangerously close to the WFC deadline. With a month to twiddle my thumbs we cooked up the idea of doing something new.

Bo was in the process of getting a head ready and I ended up with a massive list of things to do. Bo turned it up to get the head out quick and all on one day I had the clutch and complete top end engine parts show up. This day was the exact 2 week mark from when I was trying to leave. The engine kit arrived only the friday before. So here goes.

I used the downtime to swap to 3.73s.

I rebuilt a stock turbo block with nothing crazy. Stock replacement parts. I cleaned and cleaned, checked specs and added very little to the bottom end.
I welded a set of baffles/gates into the stock pan, installed a windage tray (probably overkill at that point), Crower sportsman rods and pressed pins that came with stock pistons. Thats it for the bottom end.

The head is as mentioned a Boport head, essy 2277, a matched lower, and I reused my upper and S/C tbody. I got a new stinger header. The port work is the craziest thing I've ever seen. Plus I did nothing but take it out and bolt it on. Bo took care of everything else. I had my hands full as it was.

With the original set-up we couldn't keep fuel to that was the next thing to address. I already had a 255high press walbro and kirban. But we added 75lbs injectors and switched to a drawthru MAF and a J3. Using the MAF thread from a little bit ago a program was set-up and I was able to get it out and make a 3rd gear pull. I knew right off the bat we had something very different.

Some minor changes were to swap to an alumnium crank pulley that I've had forever and wasn't using. I also changed the alt. pulley so the damn thing finally charges at idle.

Thats pretty much got it. my next step will be to put the adj. cam gear on this engine and make some dyno pulls. We are going to get everything dialed in and try again at the 1/4.

From here I want to kick back enjoy it, paint it, and fix anything that pisses me off...like the wiring. If time permits I want to go back and rewire all of the additional wiring that I added in such a hurry last year.

This turned out to be a very simple recipe for a 10 sec car. As on my 3rd track pass I ran a 10.89@ 124.49

• Sponsors (?)

That is awesome. I have heard people talk about Bo but I haven't had him do anything yet.

I wish my Ranger could put down some numbers like that. I will be taking it to the track in three weeks for a club track day. I am hoping to grab 12's. I ordered a vertical tube IC and alky injection system.

Have you ever used alky?