My 2005 Shelby GT500

• Sponsors (?)

Cervinis is working on an Eleanor body kit for the '05. Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.cervinis.com/welcome.html

elenrteasr.jpg

rrobello I tink I'm looking forthe same thing. I read your thread there on Brads site and the comments. I laugh when I read comments people make that the "Cervini Elenore" kit looks "ricey"! I love that kit and think it looks the most like the gone in 60 sec Elenore, which of course is a redo of a 67 Shelby.
I wonder if the same "kids" think a 67 Shelby looks "ricey"? It had a lot of scoops, spoilers and such all way back when rice was only something we ate, and had nothing to do with cars.

One thing I know, when gone in 60 secs came out, zillions of people loved that Elenore look and cried out ,"why cant FORD make a car that looks like that"? The 05 Mustang is the beginning of that car. All we have to do is add the body parts we like and we can each have our own version.

I too Emailed Cervini andthey told me the same thing they dont have their car yet nor have they started making the kit. I replied to them, your way behind all the others. better get moving!! I like Cevini's front end look, the other parts I think are already out there.

I dont know if anyone else is like me , but I think there are many, that grew up in love with the 67-68 Shelbys, always dreaming of one only to watch the prices go sky high. Only the rich can buy one now. But now we have a car thats' superior to the old Shelbys performance and comfort wise , that we can dress up to look like the shelbys at a price we can afford. I cant wait ti get mine in December.

Well my definition of rice has always had some correlation with the over all feeling of a car...but first let me make a few comments

Yes, the 67 GT500 has a lot of scoops, however they are all functional.....

The side scoops send air to the back brakes

The upper side scoops send air into the car through a vent that can be opened and shut

The hood scoops send air into the motor

The lower grill opening in the front facia sends more air to the radiator

The spoiler in the back is small yet functional......

As far as being superior to the Shelby in comfort....you have me there...I can't stand to drive mine for more then an hour at a time.....

Performance wise.....superior in handling....yes....

Superior in straight line acceleration......well yes to a GT350, but based on the 03/04 Machs I have raced....I still have you guys there.....

Now the real question......

As a Shelby owner...do I think the Cervini's version looks like rice?

Based on the pictures I have seen...I would have to say no.

Do I wish the scoops will be functional...yes.....however even if they are not.....unless they screw it up completely from the picture...I think its going to look great.....

And as far as only the rich being able to afford one.....nope...you just have to get lucky....I have less invested in mine, including the cost of the car..then a new 2005 Mustang GT is going for right now....

Yes, it took me 2 years and countless hours of labor on top of the money I spent to get it where it is......but I personally would not pay the EBAY prices for my own car.....

Anyways...I was dissapointed at SEMA not to see a single 05 with the lights moved to the center of the grill......

I think that while we might not all like every detail of every car.....the more people doing things, the more we build excitement for a car, the more that more people want to make new things for that car....

Just my opinion though....

Rice is not about scoops...rice is an over all feel of a car.....

Scoops if done right and fit with the car, can be the sexiest thing on a car..functional or not.

acutally, the 67 Shelby GT500 did not have functional side scoops. The company that is recreating them is making the scoops functional, but the 67/68 shelby's did not have functional scoops...

Rice is still something we eat...we just do it on the streets now in our cars, I guess you can kind of call it chinese takeout. Rice is a feeling you get about a car and that feeling would be nausia or that guys a jackass that knows nothing about cars... it is screwing up a car by adding crap that belongs on a formula 1 car when your car tops out at 95 mph, it is putting stickers on it and claiming for each one that you have it adds five HP. I could go on and on, but my point is that rice is crap and hopefully if the American Muscle Market trends continue, it's on its way out. American Muscle is back and the new stang is a perfect example of that. It will once again be the reigning icon of the motor world. I am glad that all these companies came out with parts for the car, even though a lot of them missed the mark in a lot of areas, there is enough of them out there that everyone can piece together their own dream car, like they did back in the hot rod days and do it right, emphasizing power and torque. I can sure say that I am glad to see that an American car was the main focus of not just SEMA but most car shows this year, I was getting sick of seeing the car of the year go to some dumb hybrid or plain jane import that can be modified into some street frankenstein.

By the way GNN60GT500 I would love to see pics of your shelby gt500, and am curious as to how you did that work and saved so much money, I would love to do the same, but all the research I have done into it, it always seems that it would still cost a whole lot.

DarkFireGT said:
acutally, the 67 Shelby GT500 did not have functional side scoops. The company that is recreating them is making the scoops functional, but the 67/68 shelby's did not have functional scoops...

The 67 Shelby does have functional side scoops.

I have an original car with 42,000 miles and no reproduction parts on the entire car.......

They stopped making the scoops funsctional half way throught 67 though....but 66 and early 67s did have functional side scoops.....

:flag:

How did I do it...really I got lucky....I found the car in the recycler....basically for those not in CA, it is a cheap freebie news book with a bunch of junk in it...not exactly the place to sell a Shelby.....

Basically I paid 15,000 for the car, and another 10,000 on getting it back to normal...

The guy had taken it apart 20 something years ago, and had not marked or labeled anything....

so I brought home a shell with boxes and boxes of parts...

The car was not advertised as a Shelby, I just got lucky really........

The guy knew it was something special, but he lived in a trailer down a dirt road and spent most of his time drinking. (heck he offered me a beer at 600 AM when I got there)

I painted the car with the help of my Dad and a few friends in my garage...heck the entire car was built in my garage, and while its not perfect.....its nice enough I can take it to shows.....

I do think these new Mustangs though are one of the best looking cars ever.

I have always loved fast back Mustangs, and this is the first car I have told myself that even though I can't afford a new one (damn CA home prices %&%&) I will have one one day.........

Here are some pictures..........

Man that is one sweet ride. I envy you. I too always get the recycler and auto trader and othe mags like that just hoping to come across an incredible find someday, but haven't been so fortunate yet. I have heard many similar stories though one of a guy who was sitting at my bar that purchased a 60something vette (sorry it was a year ago and can't remember the exact details) with less than 50 miles on it and the actual dealer sticker on it because the owner went off to war and never came back and so his dad kept it and took care of it and eventually decided that the reminder was too much heart ache and so he sold it at the orignal sticker price, another same guy came across a Yenko in the trader that said $1000, thinking it was a typo he decided to call the guy and ask anyway, turned out it wasn't a typo the guy was getting divorced, had babied the car since he got it (original owner) and had to split everything with his wife so to spite her he sold it for a mere $1000 and gave her half of that, and then another in Arizona (was in the papers) guy bought a Harley from some family that found it in their grandmother's garage after she passed away and it turned out the bike belonged to Elvis and was a gift from Prescilla and the guy that bought it didnt know until he started peaking curiosity about it when he tried to get some parts to restore it and one day recieved a phone call from Jay Leno offering to buy the bike without seeing it and now it belongs to Jay. But back on topic you have one sweet ride. Way to go. I wish you well on getting your new stang someday, I was the same way when the 94 came out and I finally bought a new 98 when I was 18, it is a six but I couldnt care less I had to have one and that was all I could afford. So good luck.

My bad... Well, I was half right... Didn't really read all your post, was in a hurry at work. I knew the '68 didn't... 'Cuz I've messed around with one. Figured the '67 was the same all year.

Oh well. Nice ride, btw.

GNN60GT500 I guess the old 67 - 68 original Shelbys are for the rich and extreemley lucky. Unfornuatly the vast majority of poor working slobs like me, can only admire but not afford one.Does your Shelby have a/c in it?Have you driven an 05 Mustang, and if you have give us some comparison between the ride of both. Is your Shelby your daily driver?How does it ride? I ask because I have only looked and admired, never got to ride in one or drive it!!Needless to say your Shelby and the 68GT500, imo is THE holy grail of mustangs. RIght next to the ultimate holy grail, the 69 BOSS 429!!

I would say you should have bought a lottery ticket when you bought that car, because you surely hit the mother load of a lucky day, one I doubt I'll ever see. Your car is awsome to say the least!! If I am blessed with good a good finacial future, I hope one day to at least buy me a clean 68 fastback, add the side scoops, taillights, rear ducttail spoiler and build me a "custom" 68 . Not a Shelby clone, I would never disgrace a Shelby that way, just a custom built mustang, not original but with the parts I like, from the Shelby.

Then I could park it in the garage next to my 05 and have my own little slice of Mustang paradise. :nice: