My car is making a howling/whistling noise......

Ok well i know this might be extremely hard to identify, but i would like some mechanical advice. I am taking it to a shop here in the next couple of weeks, but before that, i was wondering if i can get a sense of what might be the problem.

The clutch right now is crap. It took a dump on me, but it somewhat still working. It doesnt grab that well, so i know that needs to be replaced. However, a couple of days ago, the car started to make a whistling noise underneath it. I notice it is only when the car is in motion. I let down the left window, and it made a sound similar to that of wind....however, it was not the wind. I was wondering if it could be coming from the transmission...or the gears....or what??

Any advice would be helpful before i take it to the shop!! Thanks again fellow stang members!

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

My guess is you are destroying your throwout bearing trying to run a burnt clutch. It will have to be replaced with the clutch. The only other thing I can think of that would howl is a rear end ready to blow.

Judging by what you described, it's probably a throwout bearing. does the noise go away when you depress the clutch pedal? If the sound is coming from the rear end, you'd hear it pretty loud from that end of the car. I've been in both of these situations. Odds are, it's a TOB. If it is your rear end howling, you may be screwed, once they get out of alignment and begin to howl, they're usually a time bomb. But again, my money is on the TOB.

Is this the same thing as a "supercharger-type" whine coming from the tranny? My car has been doing that for a couple of months now, and since I installed my new tri-ax I've been hearing it more (of course, because of no rubber dampning).

It's funny though, cause it sounds like a roots-type supercharger.

Sorry to steal the thread, but might as well ask this here.

Judging by what you described, it's probably a throwout bearing. does the noise go away when you depress the clutch pedal? If the sound is coming from the rear end, you'd hear it pretty loud from that end of the car. I've been in both of these situations. Odds are, it's a TOB. If it is your rear end howling, you may be screwed, once they get out of alignment and begin to howl, they're usually a time bomb. But again, my money is on the TOB.

Well i just took her for a quick test drive to see if i can hear the sound again. The car is still making the sound....it seems the faster i go, the louder the sound is getting. However, its not an extreme loud. It is still a pretty faint sound around 30-40 mph. The sound is still made weather the clutch is engaged or not. So i dont know what that means. Now im worried about the rear end. haha

Is this the same thing as a "supercharger-type" whine coming from the tranny? My car has been doing that for a couple of months now, and since I installed my new tri-ax I've been hearing it more (of course, because of no rubber dampning).

It's funny though, cause it sounds like a roots-type supercharger.

Sorry to steal the thread, but might as well ask this here.

It honestly sounds like....a turbo spooling. But a very small turbo and the sound is very quite. But its still there. And its ok i dont mind haha

hmm my car has been doing this for about 2 months now. I just figured the rear end was about to let go. I have a howling whistling sounds when I let off the gas, or push the clutch in. Could this be my throwout bearing? or was I right the first time my rear end wants to take a dump? :shrug:

Okay, it gets louder with increased RPM's... Fine.
Does it do it in Neutral with the hand brake on? Does it get louder with increased RPM, just sitting still? Or does it only make the noise when the car is in motion?

Okay, it gets louder with increased RPM's... Fine.
Does it do it in Neutral with the hand brake on? Does it get louder with increased RPM, just sitting still? Or does it only make the noise when the car is in motion?

It seems to only make the noise when the car is in motion. I have parked it, put it in neutral, and just let it idle and it did not make this noise. The noise only comes when the car is in motion, and it does not matter if the clutch is engaged or not.

That's different than my problem. Mine makes the "supercharger" sound only when in gear and revving up. If I let go of gas, or depress clutch, it stops making the sound... maybe I have a hidden KB? haha