my GT needs more ponies..

metalis

Jan 9, 2010
hello brothers and sisters, i just got my 2004 40th anniversary mustang gt with auto tranny, i need your help what are the things that i need to replace on the car without supercharging it, i only knew CAI and header that can add horsepower, what else more? thanks.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Did you get a mechanic to look at it before you bought it, I'm assuming that if your asking this question than you only have average inclination on the maintenence. Start w/ regular maintenence before you start w/the big bucks, the extra hp is no good if you car can't handle it. Hows the Spark plugs, ball joints, brake pads, shocks and struts, fuel pump, lots of other stuff I need a book to think of. With being said, whats your mileage. Start there. Sure its fun, doing mods, its not fun tracking down a noise of some sorts. Some of the more experienced posters will chime in I'm sure. Best of luck!

I completely agree with doing regular maintance to start with, and would follow that with about 40 passes at the track to learn how to get the most from the car. :nice: That should net you a high 13 which would beat a lot of people. That's what I did on my 97, I maintain it carefully and can drive it to put every pony to use. It lets me embarass plenty of cars who 'should' be faster!

I would start by replacing the air filter and installing new plugs. A drop in K&N will have about the same effect as an aftermarket CAI for about a quarter the price. If the suspension is soft, get some new shocks and struts and check the brake pads and any other normal wear items. Then, get out to the track and learn to drive!

I'd take care of any maintenance issues first. After that (in no specific order):

- Shifter
- Gears (most go with 4.10s)
- Timing Adjuster
- Pulleys
- Mid-pipe
- Cat back or mufflers (go for sound, most provide similar power levels)
- Tint
- Plenum/Throttle body
- A good tune
- Headers (not worth the price though, IMO)

All that stuff and a good set of street tires or slicks should get you going nicely.

I'd take care of any maintenance issues first. After that (in no specific order):

- Shifter
- Gears (most go with 4.10s)
- Timing Adjuster
- Pulleys
- Mid-pipe
- Cat back or mufflers (go for sound, most provide similar power levels)
- Tint
- Plenum/Throttle body
- A good tune
- Headers (not worth the price though, IMO)

All that stuff and a good set of street tires or slicks should get you going nicely.

Headers, not worth it? Out of all the bolt-ons id say Longtube headers are the most worthwhile mod you can get...besides maybe gears...You can get a decent set of longtube headers for under 300$ if you look hard enough....

And timing adjustor? Why not just get an SCT tuner to adjust your timing like most people do...?

Since it is an auto I think a Diablo Predator should be the first and most cost effective mod you make after you get done cleaning it and catching up the preventative maintenance of course.

H-pipe and catback will get you at least 30-35RWHP and that's with stock manifolds.

umm im not sure where you heard that from...maybe on a cobra but no way in hell are you going to see those kinda of gains on a GT...

On a gt you may see 10-15rwhp MAX with those mods...and that is being quite generous and assuming its an O/R midpipe. Most people see less than 10rwhp...but, thats not to say its not a good modification. Dollar for dollar an aftermarket midpipe is the best bolt-on you can do. At-least IMO.

As stated before I would make sure your car is in good running order and everything is right. Next I would go with a short throw shifter, CAI, TB and Plenum with a handheld tuner like SCT or sniper. Then I would add gears or start in the handling department.

Personally I would throw a Procharger on it, did that to my old 99 GT and added @ 150 HP in one Saturday afternoon, (you can find used reasonable).

But since you said no SC, Intake & Exhaust need your immediate attention and then I'd go straight for the gears because that is a great bang for the buck mod. Of course get a tune and Shifter and and and ... :p

LET THE MODING BEGIN :banana:

I would do everything I did again except the CAI. A CAI is not worth the money. As others have said remove your air silencer and buy a drop in K&N. Other then that I would say do everything that is in my sig. Also get a 3000rpm stall converter, do the Jmod and make sure to get a tranny cooler.