my new Pro-50 is a noisy little bastard

I just installed a pro50 shifter in my 94 Cobra about a week ago and the thing is so damn noisy!! I mean, I like the feel of the short throw shifter but It vibrates like mother ****er and makes the most annoying whining sound I've ever heard. I'm thinking about putting the stock shifter back in because I can't stand the whining and vibrating sounds it makes.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the sounds?

(and btw I sealed it with the RTV gasket sealer stuff and that didn't help)

• Sponsors (?)

Did you install a gasket between the shifter and the tranny? One that looks just like the stock one you had to scrape off after removing the stock shifter?

I think it depends on the car. I put one in my 1992 with a newer t5-z trans and it is silent until like 4th gear at full throttle at higher rpm's, then it starts to rattle.

Put one in my buddys 1998 Cobra, and it sounds like a rock crusher all the time. Would drive me nuts.

It really just magnifies vibrations that are already there. Over a period of time with my car, trans rebuilds, new flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, all took the sound from being loud and annoying to almost non existant.

I'm greenstangs buddy, we didnt use one of those "shifter gaskets" you can buy now, but pleanty of RTV. My thought is that by using the stock shifter bushing with the pro 5.0 handle (using the stock bolts of course, so they would fit), that would reduce the sound a lot but still leave the shifter feeing pretty good....
Greenstang doesnt powershift or beat on the car at all so yeah the shifter might not feel as "precise" or whatever, but it would be quieter, correct?

8950HO said:
Are all these Pro 50 shifters noisy?My T-5 Tri-Ax shifter is quiet.
Did you set up the stop bolts properly?

Did you reuse the rubber dust shield that is right under the console and right above the shifter? That seems to knock down some noise. I also just used silicone on mine, I heard those rubber gaskets work good

87stangdiddle said:
Did you reuse the rubber dust shield that is right under the console and right above the shifter? That seems to knock down some noise. I also just used silicone on mine, I heard those rubber gaskets work good

I reused the rubber dust boot from the factory shifter just to keep dirt out of the shifter mechanism.

I think the shifter companys should include a new dust boot with their shifters,but they are too cheap.I think Mac is the only shifter to come with a new dust boot if I`m not mistaken.

I would definately reuse the factory boot.When I removed my stock shifter the rubber boot was plastered in grease and grime.

2000xp8 said:
It really just magnifies vibrations that are already there. Over a period of time with my car, trans rebuilds, new flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, all took the sound from being loud and annoying to almost non existant.

The Pro 50 in my old '89 LX used to rattle like mad at highway speeds or high rpm until I replaced the twisted driveshaft with an aluminum one. Same thing you're talking about basically; it's not the shifter so much as it is other imablances in the driveline that are causing the 'problem'.

get an MGW, i didn't use a shifter gasket and it makes 0 noise. I just took a good ammount of time scraping all the old sealant material off of where the old shifter was, and then did the zig-zag RTV sealant pattern and put the new MGW piece on. I'd highly recomend the MGW as mine makes 0 noise.