My next possible mod. Lowering springs.

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
I think lowering springs might be my next mod, but I don't know if it's in my cheap ass budget yet. First of all, this car is my DD right now, so keep that in mind.

I was looking at BBK's specific rate springs because they are $170.

I don't want to buy CC plates if I can at all avoid it, because they seem to be another $150. Is there any real way to tell whether or not I'm going to need them? I've seen some guys on here with the exact same springs and one says they needed them and the other says they don't. :shrug:

Last time I asked about springs, I was told that I would need a bumpsteer kit, no matter what. That's about $100-$150 from what I've seen.

So, help me out here. What is my best setup to go with? Or should I just wait until I can afford all the things I might need? I just really hate the 4x4 look and the slight sag it has in the rear.

• Sponsors (?)

I have BBK progressive springs with no bumpsteer kit or C/C plates. I did use offset steering rack bushings though. No problems here for 2 years.

I would like to get a bumpsteer kit and C/C plates someday.

04sleeper said:
If you bring your car to a good alignment shop they should have no problem with aligning you car with the stock cc plates.

I have always had good luck with the Ford Motorsport "B" springs.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...irect&categoryId=17949&parentCategoryId=11233

$125 you can't beat the price either.
Do you have any pics of a car with B springs? It says it only lowers the car 7/8" in the front and 1/2" in the back. Doesn't seem like very much to me. :shrug:

88 Fox GT said:
Do you have any pics of a car with B springs? It says it only lowers the car 7/8" in the front and 1/2" in the back. Doesn't seem like very much to me. :shrug:
Sure do.

Here are a couple of them.:nice:
581377_8_full.jpg

581377_6_full.jpg

I had an eibach pro kit, however the original owner cut them so they were ridiculously low, then I bought intrax 2 inch lowering springs, still too low, Now I have to buy stockers. I am so sick of taking my springs out. the Bsprings look like a good fit not too low but gives it a nice stance

88 Fox GT said:

right after i put em on.

View attachment 448239

more recently with all rear isolators removed

View attachment 448241
View attachment 448243

i had to get cc plates. it wore out my front tires quick. i think due to the fact that i didnt replace the A arm bushings:nonono:

That looks like a pretty decent drop. Pretty close to what I'm looking for. Why did you remove the rear isolators? Don't you get any rubbing or popping noises when taking off? My rear isolators are practically rotted off and mine makes popping noises when taking off.

Did you get it realigned and stuff after doing the springs?

i may have heard a faint squeak over awkward driveways and such, but nothing to bother me persay.

I had to get it aligned at a Ford Dealership so that i knew it would be good, after i got the CC plates and a pair of new front tires. Like i said i think that those A-arm bushings cost me those 2 tires and there is a chance that i could have got away with no CC plates if i'd have changed them. I took the isolators out because the back didnt drop enough. If i were you id reuse the old isolators, and then take them out if you need to. It is amazingly simple to take the rears out. You can also notch out the stock CC guides for more adjustment, if needed.

-adam

I'd go with BBK, I have the full kit... uhm dunno what specific one it is, but the springs are blue, and I have some shocks and struts of unknown origin... anyways, The car sits PERFECT with 245/45/16's and I have no CC plates and I have no abnormal wear at all, Infact, my tires hardly wear at all on the stang (well, not on the rear. :p )

its really all going to depend on the cars suspension as a whole. Spiff's must be in good shape, but if there were to be some bushings and joints and such getting worn, i think that CC's would be needed. All i'm saying is replace the bushings, the end-links, the tie-rod ends, and the ball joints while your in there. Its all cheap stuff that'll save you tons of time later on.