My wheels/your thoughts

Mustangj

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2001
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I am going to put Magnum 500 wheels on my Mach. I am going to use The Granada front brake upgade and have my rear axles re-drilled. My question is what size should I go with?

15x6" with 4" back space.
15x7" with 4 1/4" back space.
15x8" with 4 1/2" back space.

I have 225/50/15 BFG drag radials for the rear and I was thinking about 205/55/15 T/A's for the front (both are 23.9" tall). I was thinking about the 15X6" for the front and 15X7" for the rear. Do you guys think I could get away with the 15X7" front and rear?? Keep in mind I have track day and solo II plans so, I don't want any rubbing during extreme handling conditions. I already have a problem with pre-mature rear tire wear, I don't need front :D I also plan to lower the car by using 2" blocks in the rear and cutting a coil or so off the front. (I have new V8 A/c coil springs in the front and it sits pretty high). Bad photo shop of what it should look like. I can't wait! I have 205/60/13's on the front and 235/50/13's on the rear now. The really short tires and the 4x4 stance combine to make it look pretty gay :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Photo of my II now. I love my wheels why can't the tire company's make 245/60/13's??? (I would be the only customer?) Ford shoulda made 14" and 15" 4 spoke ralley wheels! The Fireturd and Craparo had 15" wheels in 1978. The Monza didn't though I guess........

I'd go with the 7 inch. I have 4" backspace 7" on mine with 225/50 tires, never rubs in cornering or anytime else.

Since the Granada rotor allegedly pushes the mounting surface out a tad, should end up just about the same net wheel/tire placement in the well as the setup I'm running. Plenty of room in the rear, I have run 245/50 in the rear on the same wheels without issue.

THE COBRAMAN said:
Or you could just buy something that fits correctly.

Trimming/rolling , IMO, is a band-aid for having not done your homework.
You could think of it that way, but can you get Magnum 500 wheels with 4.75" backspacing (or whatever would be needed)? I guess it's just me, but I don't consider trimming or rolling the fenderlip a big deal if it means getting some more rubber under there. But, to each his own.

1badII I am not looking to trim or roll anything, I have 8 more payments on the paint job :D (fresh egg shell finish black under the car). I did cut the trunk floor out for the fuel cell, cut two 2" wide slits in the floor for the frame connectors and welded in a 6 point cage, so it is not because I am afraid to modify, it's just too late.

COBRAMAN are you running Mustang II 5 bolt rotors, Granada, on 4 bolt II rotors? Do you have any photos of your II? Crurious on how a II would look with 225/50/15's on the front. I assumed 225/50/15's would rub on the front. I like the looks of a car with the same height of tire all around. I scored a brand new set of 225/50/15 drag radials. Given a choice I may have opted for wider. A guy who worked at a tire store traded me for my G-tech pro. (a G-tech only cost $139.00 :flag: at the time). Thanks for the help guys 15x7's with 225/50/15's all round then :D

Johan said:
Drag radials don't mix well with solo II / extreme handling conditions.

Autocross tires have extra stiff sidewalls. Drag radials have extra soft sidewalls.

I was planning a dedicated set of tires for auto x and open track events. The T/A and drag radial set up would be for street/strip. I was talking to a guy who auto crossed his SVO Mustang with 4 drag radials pumped up to a higher PSI. I don't see the point though, it is not like drag radials are cheaper so why bother?

I posted these a while back, but I think it was in one of the threads lost.

dsc006361hq.jpg

dsc006343zh.jpg

dsc006355se.jpg

I'm running stock II rotors drilled to 5-lug (hey, it was 1984, streetrod rotors were years away)

225s are fine, the 245s were a little tall/wide for the front.

I have seen pic's of your car before, and no offense to everybody else, but your wheels are the only aftermarket wheels I have ever seen that I thought looked right on a II! Those are discontinued American Racing right? I looked into getting a set of those when I saw your car previously. I was always going to put Torque Thrust D's on my mach, but I saw them on a II and did not like them. Your wheels look like modern Magnum 500's-very cool. I have never seen 16/17/or 18" wheels that I thought looked right on a II. I can't figure out why II's look so strange with big wheels. Classic stangs look good with 17" wheels. 79-2005 Mustangs look good with big wheels. Heck even Pinto's look good with 17's. I don't know if it the wheel well shape, but II's always look strange with rubber past 15" to me. :shrug: