my wooden rotisserie / rolltisserie

I was looking for a way to cheaply rotate my car without having to buy an expensive rotisserie that would then end up just taking up space in the shop when I'm not using it. I got this idea from someone on a camaro forum, but figured you guys might like to see it anyway.

I'm planning on blasting the car myself since i have a pressure pot and a large compressor. I'll be using glass beads, and the plastic walls are there to help me contain my mess and reuse the beads.

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

I will probably start blasting tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

• Sponsors (?)

thanks.

I started with glass beads on friday, but they didn't work too well against the paint. I struggled with it for a couple of days. Then on monday I went to a local abbrasives place and they recommended that I use garnet. I started with the Garnet yesterday, but then it started to rain so i had to toss a tarp on the car. I won't be able to start again until the blasting booth dries out. If the media gets wet it won't go through the blaster very well at all.

it was trail and error. luckily I didn't error too much. I just assumed that the CG was at the same height as the rear bumper and built my arced pieces to match. It turns out the cg was a hair lower than that, so it's a little harder to rotate up than I would like, but it's doable for one person. With a hardtop it would probably have been about right.

If I didn't want people to copy it I wouldn't have posted it. Some of the other ones I've seen don't have wheels, but instead have a cart that the car then rotates onto when in the upright position. That Might be a better way to go. The design I'm using tends to flex around a little bit when you're rolling the car around the shop.