Navigator or Expedition

Stangdriver13

Jul 31, 2006
I'm looking at buying a winter vehicle and just test drove both a 99 navigator with DOHC 5.4, 106k and a 03 expedition with 5.4 sohc, 114k. They are both about the same price and same options but i'm a little concerned about problems with the air ride on the lincoln but the DOHC sure runs great. Also I wasn't a 100% sure that 4x4 was engaging on the Navigator so i'm going to have them put it on a lift and make sure the front wheels engage. So which would you take and why?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know if the 4x4 didn't work, I just couldn't tell if it was working. It was 7 on a saturday and the dealership was closing so I didn't have a chance for them to put it on a lift to check it nor did I have somewhere to test it. The expedition I knew worked because the salesman let me drive in some grass behind the dealership and I could tell it was engaged that way. I read some things about the air ride compressors and springs going out and being anywhere from a $1000-2000 to fix but as I said that dohc sure reved much better than the expedition.

Well, I had a 99 expy and the wife drives an 03 expy now and it does towing duty. I would lean towards the 03 since it's newer, has ind. rear suspension, which makes the truck handle and drive much better and upgraded brakes. Both are Beefy trucks for sure.

I loved the 99 after i got some adj rancho shocks and got rid of the stock goodyear wranglers for some Michelin ltx tires - damn thing was built like a rock (excuse the expression). Never a rattle or problem - cloths seats never showed wear etc.... What I didn't like was the steering was a little light and it was a bit underpowered with the 5.4 2v and mpg was between 10-11mpg.

Now, the 03 - maybe since it's an early first year build is, IMO, not as well built (still built well), but all around is better (engineered). Under warranty I had it in for a window falling in the driver's door and there were some c-clips in the 4x4 that were changed under a TSB. MUCH better steering, brakes and the Independent rear allows folding seats to the floor plus handles incredibly better. Definately enough power in the 03 (added CAI) and mileage is 11 all local and 17 hwy.

Does the 4v Navi require premium fuel? That would kill it there for me. GL with the choice.

I ended up going with the navigator just because they otd price was way cheaper. They didn't come down on the expedition at all. So i got it for 6900 otd but the 4x4 is still messed up. Needs a new motor that engages the transfer case or a new solonoid. It does engage because I got it to work a couple of times. Overall i'm happy with my choice but the truck needs a little work. Going to replace the plugs, fuel and air filter, and get the 4x4 fixed. Then she will be fixed up and ready to go for winter.

Fortunately, I've got a 2000 Explorer for everyday/winter. The bonus of that being it's a company vehicle and costs me $0 to drive. Gas, maintenance, and insurance are all part of the perk.

I'm not sure an Expedition/Navigator would fit in my garage...

I have a 98 Expedition. They are great trucks.

IMO its a good thing you went for the Navi. The 5.4 4v is alot of fun and those trucks come loaded.

The air suspension thing is a hit or miss, sometimes they go while some people don't have any problems.
Since it's not a "new" truck get ready for some of these things to go:

-rear subwoofer may seperate from the magnet and start rattling, just replace with a matching unit from another company.
-bottoms of doors may start rusting(most likely)
-IMPORTANT!!! Make sure the Cruise Control recall ahs been done. Call the local Ford Stealer and inquire.
-Get Bilstein Shocks(You can only get the front ones for the Air Suspension models but it will still be worth it)

Good idea that you're gonna do the plugs(Have fun with #8 BTW), you may want to change the COP boots while you're at it. They are cheap at Autozone. Use plenty o'dialectic grease too.

They are really good trucks, you should be happy with it. The 2nd Gen. Navi's/Expy's are awesome also. But i like to have a solid rear axle for towing haha.

Good luck with it and post up some pics!