Need a carb guru...

Discussion in '1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech' started by 1WildII, Sep 29, 2010.

1. 1WildII

1WildII Member

Ok I just got my 302 running in my 71, I think I need to tweak my carb a little. On the freeway when Im holding a consistent rpm say 3000, I can hear in the exhaust a sort of a popping, kind of like it would if I was letting of the gas and a real minor hesitation thats barely noticeable. At Idle it runs real smooth, but there is occasionally a similar pop in there, its not like a loud pop, just a little grumble. Ive check all my plugs, but think I might get new ones. Also when I jump on the throttle it hesitates just a bit. Now I had the same 1406 Carb on my truck and replaced the needles on it, am I on the right track? Any tips for a guy?

Thanks for the help guys, youve always been a good place to turn to for advice like this.
  2. 54deuce

54deuce Member

I think you are talking about a edelbrock 600 carb 1406. I had the 1405 if I remember correctly same thing but it was a manual choke though. It really held my motor back. I had the same troubles I changed to a quick fuel and will not look back. The edelbrock is ok but never felt right when you tromped on it or at steady cruise. It always started and idled perfect though. They do sell a calabration kit for 50 bucks jets, metering rods and springs but I never tried it.