Need a new starter.. What's good.

MYSC351

Apr 9, 2008
I tried posting over in the swaparoo forum, but it's not very busy..

The starter I have is out of an automatic 84-93 mustang (302 starter), even though I have a 5 speed.

Long story short is my headers on my 351W are way to close to my starter burning up the magnets/coils in the starter..

Now I need a new starter... I've found both good and bad reviews for the powermaster starters. From what I've read I've seen that I should get the xs models if getting a powermaster... The summit brand is the cheapest one...Any reviews on that one?

Summit SUM-820055 - Summit® Protorque Starters

I was also looking at this one for a few more dollars..
Powermaster 3132 - Powermaster OEM-Style High-Torque Replacement Starters

and the other powermaster..The xs one that is $100 more than the other
powermaster that I've heard good things about.

Powermaster 9503 - Powermaster XS Torque Starters

Was thinking about getting the summit brand "pro torque" and a starter shield wrap..Summit SUM-350108 - Summit® Starter Heat Shield Wraps

Let know what you think

• Sponsors (?)

I used the starter for a chevy 350 truck. It sounds wierd I know, but if you break one ear off it, it bolts right up and has higher torque in a smaller capacity. Plus it sounds way different than any normal mustang.

Use a 92 or later 5.0 starter. They are smaller in size and are supposed to put out more cranking torque.

The wiring is different, so here is a diagram:
Starter solenoid wiring 92-93 Model cars and earlier models with high torque mini starter.
attachment.php