Drivetrain Need A Suggesion On Converter And Gears

So I was told I need to put a higher stall convertor in the 1995 GT convertible mustang, so when we go get her tuned, they can properly tune the car. its a fresh (never started yet) 10.3:1 compression 306 with g40 heads, early explorer intake, TFS stage 1 camshaft, 1.72 roller rockers, 24 pound injectors, 76mm MAF and 75mm throttle body. What size convertor would y'all suggest? Also what gears would you run in the rear? it will be a daily driver that will get a little bit of 1/8 mile track time.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't take a converter recommendation from ANYONE on this forum. Call a few of the companies that sell converters, and ask them. Edge, PTC, Pro-Torque, Circle-D... etc

Then buy from whoever makes you the most comfortable.

Reactions: 1 user
So I was told I need to put a higher stall convertor in the 1995 GT convertible mustang, so when we go get her tuned, they can properly tune the car. its a fresh (never started yet) 10.3:1 compression 306 with g40 heads, early explorer intake, TFS stage 1 camshaft, 1.72 roller rockers, 24 pound injectors, 76mm MAF and 75mm throttle body. What size convertor would y'all suggest? Also what gears would you run in the rear? it will be a daily driver that will get a little bit of 1/8 mile track time.
Daily driver 3.55's. You're going to hear a lot of get 4.10's if you have an auto and 3.73's if u have a manual to get optimal performance. At the track a lower gear may gain you a few hundredths of a second but if you have to go to work and run errands everyday tenth of a second gained at the track twice a year just isn't worth it.
I have a 95 w a t5 and 3.73 gears and here's my take on them. It's not a daily driver but it doesn't see the track. When you're not in "race mode" (say you were on your way to work) 1st gear is worthless. You'll be in 2nd before you get out of your driveway. I'm in 5th gear between stoplights. If I'm trying to cruise on the highway I'm wishing for a 6th gear. It's not the exhaust drone on the hwy that bugs me it's just hard to find a comfortable cruising speed. To find the "sweet spot" I'm either way under or too far over the speed limit.
Here's out it is when I'm "getting on it." 1st gear, still pretty much worthless. If I don't blow the tires off I'm at 5500 rpm's real quick, I'm barely moving and it's time to go to 2nd. In 4th gear I'm running somewhere between 100-110 mph when I hit 5600 rpm's and it's time to go to 5th. If I still have the pedal to the floor when Im in 5th it feels like it's gonna pull forever. I get scared and let off. 3rd and 4th are fun on twisty back roads but If I had to dd this thing it'd get old.
As far as getting a proper dyno read w out drivetrain influence: I'm not sure about autos but w manuals they usually do the dyno pulls in 4th gear where it has a 1:1 ratio so the rearend gear doesn't affect the dyno readings.

Last edited: