Need advice for first time at the track..

99FiveOh

10 Year Member
May 20, 2006
J-Ville, FL
I'm gonna head to the track in the next couple weeks and I would like to get some tips on what to do and what not to do.

My car will have street tires on it. It's packing around 380 hp right now so I hope that'll get me a good time slip. I've never raced on a dragstrip before so I'm gonna be nervous as hell!

• Sponsors (?)

I went for my first time a while back.

its fun as hell. I took out my spare, jack, etc, and even my passenger seat. Besides that just try and find the right RPM to launch at, slip the clutch some, lower the tire pressure and see if that helps. And dont do a real burnout on street tires, go around the water and just spin them real quick to get all the trash off.

Well is that much power and street tries your gonna spin, no question about that, just take it "easy" in first then hit second hard and go all out, your first couple of runs dont expect much, launch the split second after the 2nd light goes out, dont powershift. oh and have fun. :nice:

when you launch you dont have to launch at WOT
I recently learned that you should roll into first gear and slowly approach WOT
and I have less HP with your HP level you definately wont be able to punch 1st on street tires.

I went for my first time a while back.

its fun as hell. I took out my spare, jack, etc, and even my passenger seat. Besides that just try and find the right RPM to launch at, slip the clutch some, lower the tire pressure and see if that helps. And dont do a real burnout on street tires, go around the water and just spin them real quick to get all the trash off.

hehe this is coming from the guy that managed to spin through 1st 2nd and into 3rd at the track on 315s.

I gotta rag ya Eric. :owned:

Back on topic - just have fun dude - you won't be the fastest there and you won't be the slowest... just have a good time - it takes practice. There's an unbelievable amount of skill involved. Be sure to talk to the guys in the pits while you're waiting around... it's a blast!

Wes

I'd start in first gear like you'd start at a green light. Nice and easy at first. It's going to be frustrating if you start off dropping the clutch right away.

Don't forget a helmet, with that much power you may get in trouble about not having one. I freely admit to sucking hard the first couple times. It's going to happen, people that actually go to the track understand it, don't worry about what the keyboard and dyno racers say.

Adam

with that amount of power and street tires i would not have that high of expectations for an et. you will be spinning first and second gear. you really should try to get some drag radials before you go. good luck and have fun. let us know how you do.

Damn, you ran 12.32 with 270 rwhp? I should be able to get into 11's with my combo provided I can get some traction. I'll do the drag radials, but slicks will break stuff pretty quickly. I have a pair of old waffle pony wheels that are only 16's, maybe they'll be cheaper than buying a set of drag radials for my 17" wheels.

Damn, you ran 12.32 with 270 rwhp? I should be able to get into 11's with my combo provided I can get some traction. I'll do the drag radials, but slicks will break stuff pretty quickly. I have a pair of old waffle pony wheels that are only 16's, maybe they'll be cheaper than buying a set of drag radials for my 17" wheels.

12.3 on the bottle. i put down 270 N/A. i have not dynoed it on the nitrous yet but should be around 400hp/450tq at the wheel. i still have stock control arms and the car does not exactly hook up. im sure i could see 11's with a better 60'. i think you will be more in the high 12's if that with the street tires. your mph should be up there but the et will not be anywhere near its potential. a little bit of seat time will bring down the et. just go out there and have fun since its your first time.

edit: btw, i have my 255/50/16 mickeys mounted on the waffles