need advice:Hooker LT's/ Tri-Y's/ 289HiPo Manifold

Which is the better header??

• Total voters
hey guys i've had this mustang for about one year now and have yet to do anything major to it. one reason is because my pockets aren't too deep :shrug:, the other is trying to differentiate between what i need and what i want. well since i now have the money and am determined to get a good set of headers, i need your guys' advice on which headers offer the best performance, sound, durability, clearance, etc. due to the certain returning of certain product at a certain place :nice:, i have enough credit to buy either of these 3 types of headers/manifold.
1. Hooker Competition Headers $189.95
2. Shelby Style Tri-Y Headers $149.95
3. 289 HiPo Exhaust Manifold $269.95

I am favoring the Hooker Comp's because they're not to expensive, yet they offer great performance (or so it says). i also like the tri-y's because theyre cheap and i hear that they are good for daily driving because they increase low end torque. the 289 hipo exhuast manifold is there because i CAN get it, but i don't know if it will help. ive heard they sound nice but thats about it. if you have any experience/insight/opinions/ or whatever please help me pin point the best choice! just for your reference it is a 68 J Code (302) in a 66 coupe. it is driven mostly on the weekends so i wouldnt consider it a daily driver. i just want the best bang for my buck :uzi: thanks alot alot in advance, your advice is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The hiPo manifolds should be at the bottom of your list. You dont say what transmission you have, but if you have a 4-speed w mech linkage, you are going to have trouble with the Hookers and/or Tri-Ys.

If you have a C4, then for normal driving Id get the Tri-Ys.

LMan said:
The hiPo manifolds should be at the bottom of your list. You dont say what transmission you have, but if you have a 4-speed w mech linkage, you are going to have trouble with the Hookers and/or Tri-Ys.

If you have a C4, then for normal driving Id get the Tri-Ys.

All of the '65 Shelby cars came with Tri-Y headers and mechanical clutch linkage. Most of the '66 Shelbys also had the Z-Bar/bellcrank linkage along with the headers. No problems there that I can recall. I'd have to check the Branda catalog to be certain, but I don't think the Shelby cars used a different clutch linkage.

Hooker long-tubes have a good reputation for fitting correctly; I've also bolted in Hedmann long-tubes on a '65 with a 289 - no interference with the 4-speed's clutch linkage at all.

Go with the tri-Y's, they'll give you more under hood room to work on the car, sound great, perform like four into ones. Better ground clearance. I ran them on a 400 horse Canfield headed roller 5.0 and there's NO loss of power on the top end. Motor pulled all the way to the 7500 rpm limit.

"but I don't think the Shelby cars used a different clutch linkage."

Standard V8 clutch disc is 10". Shelby/HiPo is 10.4" or 10.5" (depends on supplier). These are interchangeable on 157 tooth set ups. You can also use 164 tooth with 11" clutches but this requires different flywheel, blockplate, starter and bell housing (Truck, '69-'73 351w).

Hooker LT are made to fit early cars. There's no conflict if you're using the correct part (6901 or 6901-1). If you use 6901-1's on a retrofit 5.0L then there can be a problem with z-bar clutch linkage and the pivot adapter. I had to grind a crescent into the bracket on my '65 with 5.0L installed. Hooker SuperComps are a different story since they're much larger tubes. One last note and that is early '65's don't have the same header clearance as '66's, so plan on using the '66 stamped steel frame brackets/motor mounts instead of the pin-style used on the '65.