Need advice on getting a classic Stang

Iwvustang

Founding Member
Dec 12, 2001
Ann Arbor, MI
Well, the days of me company leasing brand new GTs with free insurance are over, and now I am looking to buy a car...

(This is basically the same post I made in the tech forum, but decided to put it here as well.)

I have been seriously looking at buying a classic Mustang, as it is in all honesty my dream car. My predicament is that I would love to have a big block (such as the 429,) but there is absolutely no way I could afford a Boss 9, ect. While looking on eBay I came accross this:

69 Mustang with 429 CJ

It looks to be exactly what I want: A regular Mustang with the 429 CJ put in it. The exterior is acceptable, even tho I would eventually repaint it in something along the lines of Calypso Coral or Grabber Orange. The interior is, in my mind, pretty bad, but I would have no problem cleaning up and redoing that. Then I'd look to get some Mag 500s on it and an explorer rear end.

And my thinking is, if I get this, and start working on it and realize I want something newer/more practical, I could always sell it for at least what I got it for.

Does this sound like a good plan to you people?

Also, does that look like a 429 under the hood, cause it really doesn't look like it to me. But as the auction says, "Seller pdniseus assumes full responsibility for the content of this listing and the item offered." And a 302 where a 429 is supposed to be isn't going to fool anyone so I hope I'd be safe there.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure you want a big block car? They aren't all they're cracked up to be. But I'm a small block guy and probably always will be.

That is definitely a big block, pretty sure it's a 429-type, but it could be a 460 (truck engine) or a stroker or anything.

As far as mods go, that's up to you, but big block cars suck at handling, braking, and of course gas mileage. small blocks aren't much better on the mileage but much better handlers and less weight = better braking.

edit: that interior looks pretty clean to me, esp. for a 35 year old car.

Don't assume you can sell it what you got it for, it all depends on the market or finding the right buyer. I'm not saying there's no way you could turn around and sell it without less, but don't take it for granted as a backup plan.

Looks to be a good car to fix up, but the things you can see are never the bad part. I'd be hesitant to buy a car off eBay, but many people have done it without a problem.

If you've never had a classic it will take some getting used to, but they're fun as hell :)

Good luck, hope to see you post in the near future with pics of your new (err old) stang.