Need Advice on Tires Can't find Right Size

91StangLX

Mar 26, 2004
I am going to purchase a new set of drag radials in the very near future and I am having a problem finding the correct size tires. My 91 Stang factory Tire Size is 225-55-16. I have been unable to locate this size in a drag radial. Will the 245-50-16 Nitto 555R Drag Radial work... What would the difference be in the two sizes. Will my speedo be off and will the tire fit on Pony 5 Star rims. Also BFG has a 255 50 R 16 Comp/TA Drag Radials. Will these fit with out any problems... If you can think of any other tires that might work please let me know. I race at the track about once a month and on the street more.

• Sponsors (?)

the nittos will work, and the only other 16" dr out there is the bfg. I have run them on my significantly lowered car and they rub a little if you corner hard going to the right, or if you approach a steep incline at a angle, but other then that no problems. But I think the reason they run is cause I use them on 16" t-bird wheels which I ebelive has a diff. offset then what the ponys have, and if you are going to be doing more street dirving with them, go ahead and do yourselve a favor and go with the nittos. They work well in the rain and give you more then enough traction when you need it