Need cam & head advise on 357

gt-351

Oct 25, 2004
va
I had some bad luck here lately. I think I wiped a cam lobe. Im getting a ticking noise that changes with rpm on one side of my heads. I re adjusted my rockers and it didnt help.
I currently have a small .508 .512 with 224 231@50 flat tappet. Im running a tf 351 intake ,gt-40 x heads ,stock rods ,speed pro pistions,crank ,with arp bolts every where.
I drive the car a bout 3 times a week and to the drag strip 45 miles away.
Im thinking hydro roller(what sise) retro fit lifters (what brand) . How do you guys feel about 185 AFR's.
The car made 290rwhp and 357rwftlbs with a five speed.The hp fell of fast after 5200rpm. So I think the ported gt-40 heads are holding me back.

• Sponsors (?)

Thats really low power for a 351 based motor. Like they say, "put 302 parts on a 351 and you will get 302 power"

You can get either crane retrofit lifters or ford racing for a couple bucks cheaper but still ~$400. If i were to do it again i would go even bigger than a 185 so you have room to grow. Maybe the 205 or maybe even the TFS hi port.

What valves are the valve reliefs for in those pistons? What matters is how fast you want to go and what your future plans are. I dont know much about AFR's but i know the Hi port head is a great head because it can grow with the combo. Mike Curcio told me he has used them on 12 second street cars all the way down to 7-8 second cars. Its up to you and your wallet. :nice:

Is it a flat tappet motor? Because wiping out a cam lobe with a hydrolic roller lifter is very rare. 185s are a good street legal head, if you need to be legal then go for those if not u might wanna look bigger.