Need help car running like crap

RYC CUKR

Founding Member
May 19, 2002
Orlando
Ok here is the deal.

Put a new intake on last weekend. Install went pretty easy. I also deleted the egr at the same time since the egr tube on my new GT 40 intake was messed up. Car ran great had a few small issue mostly small coolant leaks from hose clamps that hadn't tightned down enough.

But anyway I drove the car to work today. Ran great. So I get in it to go home and when I started it I could smell gas and then I noticed that it was running poorly like it was missing on a cylinder or two. When I got out I saw that it was smoking out of both exhaust pipes and that was where I could smell the fuel the strongest, in the exhaust so I concluded that it was running really rich. I figured that I would drive it just to get an idea of how it was running. Well it drove like it ran, like crap. Felt like it was missing big time.

What gives????????? I know it is getting spark and fuel cause it is running technically. Is it getting too much fuel or not enough spark, i.e. missing on a few cylinders. Could it be a FPR prob or an ignition/dist. problem? it took almost a 1/4 tank to go 11 miles on the way home.

Looking for any help so let me here your ideas.

I am going to pull the plugs when it cools down and see how they look.

• Sponsors (?)

yeah it is the stock FPR.

Did a couple of other things. pulled all the plugs. They all looked pretty good except for #6 which was very clean and kinda wet. So I figured that maybe #6 was misfiring. I cranked the engine with no plugs and you could see fuel get pumped out of #6 plug hole. and when I say fuel I mean almost liquid. the header was was wet after about 3 or 4 cranks. That was the only cylinder that did that. So now my question is do I have a bad injector?

That could be the problem. Doing an intake swap could have gotten the injectors dirty and clogged open or something. Did you change the injectors or reuse them. Did you damage any of the gaskets? Did you disconnect any injectors and then reconnect them, maybe causing damage to the pins? Try swapping injectors and see if the "bad" one screws up in its new cylinder.

ok

Think that I have located the problem. When I put the intake on One of the injectors, #6 specifically wasn't positioned right and when the intake got tightened down the upper intake crushed the connector going to that injector and skinned the wires thus causing the issue. Don't know why I didn't have this prob immediately but maybe vibrations while the car was running caused the majority of the damage. anyway it looks like if I tape them up I should be good. Hopefully this will fix the car. I had a very aggravating and smoky drive home.

Well got the injector fixed and the intake all put back together and it runs like it should but it is still smoking pretty good. I think that since injector was grounded out it was on all the time and I wonder if I loaded that cylinder up with fuel and when I went to start it this afternoon I popped something like a head gasket. Cause the smoke is white and since I fixed the injector it doesn't smell like it is running rich just smoking. Or maybe I just have a fouled plug?????????????

why would you mess with it if you dont know what you're doing?

I highly doubt you blew a headgasket from fuel injector, it however is possible that those big connectors in back are not totally connected or you possibly got a wire caught between upper and lower and tightened it causing car to run improperly.

NeQX said:
why would you mess with it if you dont know what you're doing?

Never made a mistake eh?

I did pinch a wire with the upper intake because I forgot to turn one of the injectors and the vacuum manifold on the bottom of the upper got tightened down on it. So just a little mistake on my part. I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before I ripped the upper back off.

The car is good. Must have just been a bunch of crap in the system. Ran a compression check and it was good. Took it out for some drivin and no more smoke. So its all good.

Thanks for the replies guys. :nice: